Thread: workbench apron... purpose?

workbench apron... purpose?

Hello,

This might be a fairly elementary question, or just plain obvious to everybody else, but what the heck. Everybody is entitled to ask dumb questions every once in a while, right?

Is there a specific purpose for the aprons or skirts I see on a lot of workbench tops? A few styles of work benches, I can see a reason... for example, I've seen a couple designs where the edge where the dog holes are at is solid laminated wood several inches thick, but the remainder of the top is wide planks laid flat, so I can see the use of a thick apron to stiffen things up... similarly, I've seen some designs where the apron, at least least on the 'front' side has dog holes in it for supporting longer pieces during planing, or other operations. Those I can grasp. The ones that kind of elude me are where there is a reasonably thick/stiff top already, say laminated wood or sheet goods, and the apron extends considerably below flush w/ the bench top... is this just to provide the 'look' of having a big massive 3-4"+ top for aesthetics, or is there a technical reason I'm missing here? Seems like it'd make things more difficult, both in terms of clamping anything directly to the workbench top, and in terms of if you have to reach under for any reason, such as to pop up a bench dog thats fallen down, etc.

TIA,

Monte

Just a WAG on my part, Monte but, I think I'll agree with your ascertation of, on certain units (probably the cheaper built ones), it's just a matter of appearence. Actually, more a matter of illusion or one might even go as far as "deception"! I don't think you'll find that to be the situation with your better, higher end tops. Just my $.02.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Actually I think an apron if designed correctly is very useful. It allows you to clamp a verticle piece that is too long to be fully support by the vise. The dog holes allow for additional support for longer pieces while edge jointing. If you are using a shoulder vise it basically is the back jaw of the vise.

my 2 cents....

Mike

Monte, you are pretty much on target. The only other reason I can see is to provide a place to mount a deadman for supporting long stock.
    Dennis

When I build my workbench, it will have a longer apron. The reason being, so I can clamp stuff to it!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I think that there is a greater reason for the apron on a work bench. It creates an even more massive surface at the edge of a workbench. This extra mass and thickness is needed when working with striking tools to prevent any deflection in the bench top.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

So the concensus is... that it's all three!

Stiffens the bench,
    Makes a good clamping area,
    and looks good (for some makers at least)