Thread: How hard would it be to build a wall support for an oneida v5000 DC?

How hard would it be to build a wall support for an oneida v5000 DC?

My HF DC finally took it's last dump. I'm really torn between the Clearview CV1800 and the Oneida V5000. Both seem like capable machines, especially considering that all they have to collect from are my cabinet saw and band saw at the moment. Honestly, the financing option of the Oneida is attractive to me, but then they nickel and dime you for accessories. Anyone ever built their own wall hanging support for one of these? What about the drum? They give you the option to buy without a drum, but what would you use?
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

My DC cyclone is a 'home brew' CL find that works well enough that I'm not actively looking to replace it until it dies. I have found that 55 gallon fiber barrels with lipped lids and band clamps work great. I can get as many as I want for free in my area. I cut a hole in the top of a lid and riveted/siliconed a 6" port in it to accept the down hose from the cyclone. I've got arrangements with several local farmers and they just come and grab a full barrel anytime they need sawdust and then bring their empty barrel back. Zero effort on my part and I rarely have more than one full barrel in my shop. I have 6 barrels in rotation.

Where did you get the canisters for free?
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    This might not help, but I got a couple of them because I saw a huge pile at a nursery. I asked and they said they got them from a restaurant who got them filled with cooking oil and they got a couple of them a month that way. They gave me two, just because I asked. I saw someone else saying they got theirs from a spray-foam insulation company, who was giving them away because nobody would take them for recycling because they had chemicals in them. You might try that too.

My Dc the fan and motor was too heavy for me to lift. I had to rig a pulley set up from the rafters to hoist it on top of the cyclone. Once it was in place The cyclone slipped in the band clamp. So i had to hoist it up to align the piping. I ended up using some car serpentine belt inside the clamp to stop the slip. If I had known I would have made something with some cables or chains and some turnbuckles to hold the cyclone up. Waterheater straps could be used as extra support.
    Bill D.

A local manufacturer puts up a CL ad every once in a while when they have a huge supply of them. I think they get polyethylene beads in them and when they're empty they just take up space.

I have a V1500 (because I don't have much ceiling clearance and had limited 220V access), but it works well as equipped with all Oneida accessories, including the steel stand, and their barrel and connections. For me, it's always simpler to buy tools as a set because I spend less time assembling and setting up. There is no reason why, however, that you can't make your own stand for the cyclone; a cabinet, wood structure, or even a metal stand similar to Oneida's if you are good with metal. I made my own mounting cabinet/stand to house my first Oneida over 20 years ago shortly after they started. Their new V Series are much lighter than the all-steel cyclone that they originally sold so the support stand should be easier to build.

We had someone weld up a wall hanging bracket for our 10 hp direct drive at a price less than Oneida charges for their stand (which we would have needed to alter anyway to change from floor to wall).

Have you considered going with the V-3000? I thought mine came with the stand. What was the reason you felt you needed to go with the V-5000?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

My HF DC finally took it's last dump. I'm really torn between the Clearview CV1800 and the Oneida V5000. Both seem like capable machines, especially considering that all they have to collect from are my cabinet saw and band saw at the moment. Honestly, the financing option of the Oneida is attractive to me, but then they nickel and dime you for accessories. Anyone ever built their own wall hanging support for one of these? What about the drum? They give you the option to buy without a drum, but what would you use?
    I was going to build a wall support for the ClearVue 1800 but bought theirs instead: simply a couple of pieces of aluminum angle and a diagonal support to form triangles to hold a rectangular

The downloadable assembly manual has a photo on page 27.
    Current sales use a different support, also in the manual (don't know why they changed but the old one works well for me).
    Page 12 has a picture of a shop-built wooden support.

I got the 5hp 1800 and it's pretty heavy but I was able to install it myself with some careful lifting.

I use a galvanized 30-gal trash can for the bin. I cut a hole in the lid and built a flange to connect the short piece of 6" flex from the cyclone.

JKJ

I do think, especially after the feedback here, that I will just buy the wall unit from whichever company I Decide to do business with. I always forget about how much time might be invested in finding a "workaround", and time is something which is in great shortage in my life.
    --

I put my Oneida on a stand as opposed to a wall mount. I did this to isolate the house from the DC vibrations.

I get free 55ga soap barrels from car washes. Most are happy to give them away. Just stop in and ask.