Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DC plumbing help needed

DC plumbing help needed

I'm going to replace my HF dust collector. I'm going to get either the Oneida V5000, or the Clearview CV1800. See this attached image with my requirements. I will only be connecting this to my table saw, band saw, and edge sander, all of which have 4" inlets. For the DC inlet, you will see in the picture, the Oneida has an 8" inlet and the Clearview has a 6" inlet. Total length of the longest run is the table saw about 12 feet away from the DC.

--

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    I'm going to replace my HF dust collector. I'm going to get either the Oneida V5000, or the Clearview CV1800. See this attached image with my requirements. I will only be connecting this to my table saw, band saw, and edge sander, all of which have 4" inlets. For the DC inlet, you will see in the picture, the Oneida has an 8" inlet and the Clearview has a 6" inlet. Total length of the longest run is the table saw about 12 feet away from the DC.

Pretty much everyone is going to tell you that the more air you can move, the better. You can get reducers easily, either from 6" to 4" or from 8" to 4", which you should do at the machines to give you the best airflow back to the DC. IMO, you can't go wrong with either of your choices.

Instead why not just buy a 2nd HF unit and run it in parallel with the 1st one. I did it and got major suction. Everything runs through a cyclone and I dump the exhaust outside. Zero mess and no complaints from the neighbor.

As the happy owner of a V3000, im curious why you're thinking of going with a 5 hp collector for a small one man shop with short duct runs?

Just a suggestion but . . . Call Oneida, tell them your needs, and they will suggest the cyclone that will be sufficient. I would agree that a V5000 may be overkill for a one-man shop. My V1500 does a great job on my planer, jointer, router table, bandsaw, and with the hood collector on my lathe because, since I'm the only one who works in my shop, I only collect from one tool at a time.

If you buy from Oneida, they should design your system based on your needs and shop measurements. You will need to give them an idea of the length of your runs anyway to get a recommendation on which cyclone will work. They have always been honest with me. I don't believe they have recommended something to just sell it to me.

I merely have one single main duct with 3 drops; one reduced to 4" in the center which works for my planer, router table, table saw, or bandsaw, whichever I'm using at time. All my tools are on wheels so I just roll them out and move the connection from one to the other. A second is reduced to 4" for the jointer and stays connected to that because it's in a little different area of the shop. The third drop is reduced to 4" and goes to the hood on my lathe. I have gates for each and only open the one I need at the time although I have left two open when I'm using the jointer and planer or table saw at the same time. It's more than sufficient.

The only thing I don't like about the V series is cleaning the filter. I haven't found a good way to blow the dust inward since I don't have a large compressor in the shop. Other than that, the V1500 is large enough for my needs and keeps my shop clean so it must suck at least most of the fine dust off the tool.

I have a 3hp cyclone, and used a piece of sheet metal to make a 6" flange for my edge sander. Gets most of the dust now, a 4" opening on a sander gets about half the dust a 6" collects. Found the small cutting blades you can buy at Harbor Freight for a 4" right angle grinder work pretty well to cut sheet metal. Had to use my arc welder to weld it, and it was a little thin for stick welding, but got it done.

When I upgraded to a cyclone, I was looking at a 3 hp. When pricing an Oneida, I found the 5 hp was only a small amount more than the 3 hp. My wiring would support the larger so I got the 5 hp.

I ran 8" pipe for the first few feet and some bends and then to 6" PVC. I measured about 1350 cfm with the 6" pipe.

My experience with the Oneida design was not very good. I gave them my info and limitations and they designed something that would not fit.

"Bigger than needed" is better when it comes to dust collection systems than "too small and re-buy expensive" would be. But I agree with the advise to give Oneida a call or email to describe your situation so you can select the best option for your shop for both performance and financial outlay. And getting a duct design from them when you buy the unit is also a good idea. It will give you the basis to refine things to your liking.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm going to just buy the wall mount. It's good advice not to spend all of that extra time trying to build one. I'm very short on time. As far as considering a smaller machine, I'll consult with both companies and see what they advise, but I sort of go by what Jim Becker is saying. This is a 25x25 shop - for now. One day, who knows, business might be really good and I need to expand. Nonetheless, I'll still consult with both Oneida and Clearview about it. If they tell me that the 5hp is absolutely a ridiculously overkill unit, I will back down.
    --

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.

If you have reasonably secure plans to scale up the shop at a later date, be sure you mention that to the vendors so it can be taken into consideration...it will save you money in the long run if you can transition a single purchase for both "now" and "later".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

CURVEBALL!!!!!!!

So, being the intelligent person I am, I decided to investigate why my Harbor Freight dust collector was turning on, but no suction was happening. Well, what I discovered, was that my table saw was clogged! I feel pretty stupid. However, stupid as I may feel, I'm still going to do something about dust collection because it seems like this harbor freight dust collector collects the dust, and then blows it all over the place through the filter bag. I'm very inclined to purchase a professional unit such as the ones we have been discussing, but before I do that, I just want to double check that I would be better served(cost) at upgrading what I have? What I mean, is that you can find people on youtube who have this DC unit, and have added a cyclone and Wynn Environmental filter. Does this seem like a ridiculous hack job? A new DC is going to set me back $2000, which I've already accepted, but if I can get similar results for less than half that amount, I'm more likely to do that. I don't want to worry about my health in this shop any more, so I'm definitely doing something.
    --

Speaking as someone that did the Wynn/Super Dust Deputy upgrade and then moved to a ClearVue 1800 - it depends. For me the collection with the Wynn/DD was good enough at the saw but not as good as I wanted at the planer. Also, I wanted something that could handle a larger shop/more tools as eventually I'll move out of the garage and into a purpose built shop. With that in mind, I decided on the 1800. You can certainly get a good enough system with a Wynn/DD or some other cyclone, but if you want to expand your shop in the near to medium term, I would move to the larger DC.
    Also the HF smaller DC has a smaller impeller than most of the single stage DCs in the 1.5-2HP range (I used a ShopFox 1.5HP with a 12 inch impeller), so if that's what you are thinking of modifying, your improvement may be smaller

If you spend a bunch of money upgrading your HF dust collector you still have a HF dust collector. Considering that you all but convinced yourself that you "needed" a 5hp cyclone I suspect that you will not be happy with the results of upgrading your 1.5(?) hp imported bagger for very long. Buy once, cry once.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    I installed the 5hp ClearVue with 6" PVC ducts and it is a SCREAMER! I was amazed at the airflow, how well it separates even the fine dust (almost nothing goes into the filters) and how clean the exhaust is. (I return the filtered air to the shop) I keep a Dylos laser particle-counting air quality monitor running all the time and proof of the efficiency is in the numbers. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AWEG0Y

I used a bag DC once and almost choked. It was OK for picking up shavings and coarse sawdust but terrible at filtering. I have no idea whether the one you have has enough power to work with a pre-separator and better filters. The separator had better be good since if not, the filters may clog quickly.

Dust collection is one place where I believe oversizing can be beneficial. It can help overcome ducting and port inefficiencies and allow for future shop additions. No woodworker has ever been sickened by air that was too clean, as far as I know.

Of course, one powerful enough to collapse your table saw cabinet might not be so good...

The only downside of a big cyclone that I know (besides the cost and the installation) is the noise. It is indeed a screamer. I mounted mine in a sound insulating closet and can carry on normal conversations in the shop when it is running. Without the closet it sounds like a freight train passing at 3'.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I installed the 5hp ClearVue with 6" PVC ducts and it is a SCREAMER! I was amazed at the airflow, how well it separates even the fine dust (almost nothing goes into the filters) and how clean the exhaust is. (I return the filtered air to the shop) I keep a Dylos laser particle-counting air quality monitor running all the time and proof of the efficiency is in the numbers. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AWEG0Y

I used a bag DC once and almost choked. It was OK for picking up shavings and coarse sawdust but terrible at filtering. I have no idea whether the one you have has enough power to work with a pre-separator and better filters. The separator had better be good since if not, the filters may clog quickly.

Dust collection is one place where I believe oversizing can be beneficial. It can help overcome ducting and port inefficiencies and allow for future shop additions. No woodworker has ever been sickened by air that was too clean, as far as I know.

Of course, one powerful enough to collapse your table saw cabinet might not be so good...

The only downside of a big cyclone that I know (besides the cost and the installation) is the noise. It is indeed a screamer. I mounted mine in a sound insulating closet and can carry on normal conversations in the shop when it is running. Without the closet it sounds like a freight train passing at 3'.

JKJ
    Another downside to mine is the power - the flow is too much for the J/P dust chute in the planer position (it forces the normally closed jointer chute open) so I had to clamp the chute in place :-) First world problems