Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How old are you and are you passing on a woodworking legacy?

Legacy is also a legal term, and a big part of the discussion here is who will inherit things of some value. Some have said here that no one close to them is interested in woodworking, that does not mean that there should be no consideration of real value or continuing practical use.

Ya I agree with Mel.When you feel like you have something of value it's a shame when your willing to freely give it and no one wants it.
    Its like having a Apple tree full of Apples delicious juicy fruit.And no one wants to take a bite.
    My attitude for working woods can be applied to many areas of life.
    For instance do the right thing even when no one is looking.
    Happy 4th everyone
    Aj

I'm 56 and I've done some woodworking on and off, but I'm now making a set of Brian Boggs inspired chairs.....first one looks great. My daughter is actually a very accomplished spoon and figure carver. She gets green logs (cherry, linden/basswood and buck thorn are favorites), splits and hews the blanks, then carves with sloyd and hook knives. She mainly gets the logs from urban trees, the local park district and family members. She actually taught me how to do it. She also uses similar techniques to make measuring scoops, jewelry and knitting needles.

I am 82 and am mentoring/teaching a 14 year old young man in woodturning. He is very smart and energetic. I need some of his energy. He will become a good woodturner.

I am 46. I have 2 kids which neither will be taking up the hobby. I don't think there will be grandkids anytime soon. I think I am doing it backwards. The people that come to me wanting to learn are planning for retirement and want something to do with their free time.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    56, and had to retire from farming a few years ago due to health reasons. One of my grandfathers was a master furniture maker, the other a carpenter and farmer. My father picked up wood turning when he retired from farming, he gave most of his projects away to friends and family and miraculously dozens and dozens of bowls, candle holders, plates... showed up in front of the altar at his funeral. My youngest son, soon to be 21 years old, is a carpentry apprentice in Fort St. John, BC, made 2nd place in the provincial skill competition. Now he is planning to keep learning and become cabinetmaker journeyman, which would add another couple of years of training. Some of the pieces he built in school are just incredible, these kids learn design and combining wood, metal and concrete and the results are just out of this world. Sadly, few people are willing to pay the price.
    Now my youngest daughter (19) says she ahe wants to spend some time with me in the shop after a year in university, it'll be interesting.

46 with a 7 year old that I hope one day shows an interest in WWing.
    More than likely it will be the requests to build things like mom does.
    I'm not good enough to try to teach anyone.....

65 with a 32 yr old son. We're both engineers and like building stuff. He's become a woodworker by necessity since buying a house, and has also been making rustic furniture from framing wood, and has even taken orders on commission. My father and grandfather were wood workers and I have hand tools that belonged to them. My son will inherit them and use them as I have been.

Early 60s. I got into W-working as a hobby, as a homeowner who wanted to fix things, and because I appreciated the beauty of furniture and things well-constructed of good wood. I don't know anyone in my socio-economic area under the age of forty that even appreciates fine wood, or wants an heirloom. Temporary furniture, finished black or white, in pseudo-wood (bought on-line) is just fine. So, I don't see an interest in younger people. On the other hand, they can do incredible things with computers and programming and fixing technical problems, so its not a laziness issue, just a different priority.

Blog Entries
    32 years old here, and have been woodworking my entire life... My grandfather gave me a hammer, 2x4 cutoff, and a box of nails when I was 3 or 4 because I wanted to help. Two hours later every nail was in the 2x4 and I wanted more. I now have 4 hammer drawers in my tool box. Sense thanksgiving I finished up a 13 piece commission, and restored a Gravely 8122 lawn tractor. I am currently working on a L134 flat head for a friends Jeep, helping a coworker rebuild an Atomic 4 for his sailboat, and I am getting ready to spray primer on the cab of my 70 Chevy C10. Ooh I also made a "Mario" themed cutting board for my Sister as a wedding gift a few weeks ago and need to finish up the other 10 that I made at the same time and sell them. (I don't like making end grain cutting boards)
    Automotive and engine work is relatively new to me over the last few years, but the addition of welding to my skill set has allowed me to venture into mixed media furniture with a modern flare that seems to be more desirable to high end customers.
    I have also dabbled in saw milling and work with slabs, and I have built 34 ukuleles and a couple guitars in the last 5 or 6 years.

I work for Infinity Cutting Tools for my day job and film Videos and shoot most of the photography for the company and help with a lot of product development, customer service, and tech support questions.

No kids yet, and I fear that when they come my kids will not be interested in the things I do. We live in an age where information is cheep and readily available to the point that real knowledge and the accompanying skill has very little monetary value. On that note I have a degree in History and am a researcher through and through. If I don't have tools in my hands working on something, I am researching and reading. My wife says if I'm not working on at least two projects and researching another I will explode. I'd like to get into more metal work and machining, but I need a bigger garage.
    Last edited by Andrew Gibson; 07-03-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Andrew you didn't have to tell us you read history ....you had us at "cheep".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Andrew you didn't have to tell us you read history ....you had us at "cheep".
    I said I can read and look things up, never said I could spell. Not bad for a dyslexic boy from Missouri.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    I said I can read and look things up, never said I could spell. Not bad for a dyslexic boy from Missouri.
    Mee just mint reeding thos olde book voluums meens yoo wil knead good eddater.

37 here, my daughter is only 6 months, I dont particularly like my wife or my daughter to come to my shop because it contains a lot of fine dust and its not good for them, I always wear my mask when I am in my shop.

once I have upgraded my dust extractor I will welcome them with banners and an opening ceremony

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    Even Fred Teutenberg's Dirt Cheap chicken from the notorious STL area liquor store ads could spell "cheap" correctly. Must be the Florida starting to get to you

Phillip, from Missouri.