Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How old are you and are you passing on a woodworking legacy?

How old are you and are you passing on a woodworking legacy?

Perhaps I'm wrong but I get the feeling that many of of us Creekers are baby boomers or older.I hope the noble craft of making sawdust does not die off as we do. So how 'bout a sound off of your age and more importantly have any of your children or grandchildren become woodworkers because of your influence?

I'll start . I'm 63 and have been woodworking for nearly 40 years. My daughters had little interest in wwing, and my son who recently moved out of state had little interest in wwing while he was growing up. However now that he's two + hours away, he has found a new interest in making wooden items. Go figure, better late than never I guess.

Just shy of 70. Taught shop for 5+ years. One son owns a home repair business, and other owns a heavy equipment repair business. Have a grandson who is a very talented woodworker in the building trades.

Blog Entries
    Approaching 68, neither one of my children have shown an interest in wood working. So far none of the grandchildren have either.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee and I are the same age. None of my children have shown an interest. However, I have introduced a number of locals to the fun of turning wood. They went on to buy their own lathes and tools.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

67 here, neither of my children have shown an interest [except for the items I make for them] Just one Grandson who I thought might take up turning on the lathe. We made a couple of deer calls together and he did a great job but unfortunately hasn't shown much interest since. He's got a lot on his plate now so hopefully he will take it up later on. My wife is kinda "crafty" and likes making "stuff" she has done some spindle work and turned a small bowl.
    It does worry me some wondering what I will do with all my equipment when it comes time to hang up my safety glasses. I would love to pass it on to someone who shares my passion for wood working.

I'm 67. I have two sons and a daughter. The daughter showed no interest in the shop. Both sons have spent time in the shop and know their way around. However each son has children younger than 7,full time jobs, and their own houses to maintain. I do take the grandkids into the shop for simple projects.
    Wood'N'Scout

Buncha old farts. And I thought I was old. 55 here. 2 boys. Early on they liked going into the shop to play with tools and mostly the dust collection. Throw a pile of dust on the floor and they'd suck it up. Over and over.

Little interest in woodworking. Even though they see the amazing things that I can make. Tried to teach them things like repair and just basic fixing stuff, the logical order of troubleshooting. No interest, so sad.

I'll be 72 this fall and nobody to pass anything on too. None of my 4 children, or any of my grandchildren, have any interest in woodworking.
    Earl

64. My sons would rather die than do anything I do. Really.

Just turned 64.my son andcousin's son used to come in the shop and have me cut stuff for them when they were young. Later on my son learned the basics and we made a few things together like shelves, boxes and an entertainment center. We also did some carving together. He also has an artist's eye and does a lot of drawings and paintings. He went on to trade school and worked for a few contractors and then we did handyman and light remodelling work together for some years. He now works full time for General Dynamics and is looking for his own place and when he finds it, he'll have the skills to do the work himself.

37, all my kids enjoy everything to do with the shop, machines, repair work, running lumber, hauling equipment, auctions, etc. My oldest is 11 and wants to learn how to set up my moulders.

67 - no one really interested. Grand-kids do a bit but everyone's busy it seems.

They'll have to one day when they have to clean and sort my tools!!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

52 here we have four adult kids.Three grand kids 11yr 2 yr 1 yr old.My wife and I are guardians of our oldest Vincent and has been with us since he was two.
    Nobody in my family tree is interested in learning how to work wood.My shop is my space we have a very busy house so it works well for me.
    Aj

I am 78 started woodworking at 30. My son is an arborist and does chainsaw carving, he is 51, as an arborist he gets me most of my turning wood but I have to keep reminding him, kids what are we going to do with them.

75 here, neither of my kids show any interest. But i am very pleased that they, their friends and other family members greatly appreciate things I have made for them.