Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How old are you and are you passing on a woodworking legacy?

I'm 67 and I, finally, have gotten to the point where I feel I can retire from woodworking. Even though I kept telling my customer I am retiring, he keeps sending me orders which I feel obligated to fill. I finally told him this is the last order and I won't continue. Unfortunately for him, he cannot find anyone to replace me. I really don't know what he's going to do ; I've tried to find someone for him, but no luck. I think he may be hoping I will cave.

I will probably keep my tools for now as there are always wood projects to do but I won't keep up the pace I have kept and only for personal projects for our house and our friends. With no children in my family my plan is to, at some point, give my shop, in whole, to some young craftsman who impresses me, whom I have not met yet.

Triple your prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I'm 67 and I, finally, have gotten to the point where I feel I can retire from woodworking. Even though I kept telling my customer I am retiring, he keeps sending me orders which I feel obligated to fill. I finally told him this is the last order and I won't continue. Unfortunately for him, he cannot find anyone to replace me. I really don't know what he's going to do ; I've tried to find someone for him, but no luck. I think he may be hoping I will cave.

I will probably keep my tools for now as there are always wood projects to do but I won't keep up the pace I have kept and only for personal projects for our house and our friends. With no children in my family my plan is to, at some point, give my shop, in whole, to some young craftsman who impresses me, whom I have not met yet.
    i am young and like free things !

Well this thread confirms my thoughts that there is a high percentage of us curmudgeons here. It is nice that a few of our offspring have an interest in woodworking and that some of the younger members are passing on their knowledge to their kids. Perhaps woodworking will follow the path of film photography with technology changing the landscape for the majority. Maybe a remnant of old school woodworkers that use band saws,lathes, and hand tools will survive just like a small group of die hard film users have survived with their Leica's and medium and large format cameras. Thanks to all who replied.

Jon,

There could be a revival too! Take music, for example. Today it was announced that Sony was going to start stamping out vinyl records again. Who knows?

The ONLY 2 things guaranteed in life.....death and change.......from the moment you are born.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have a ton of pictures with my kids in the shop, at auctions, running a RAS, drill press, creating things, driving the fork lift, etc.

62, kids are on good career paths and not much chance they want to take over the shop. Things can always change though. My daughters worked in the shop some mostly office and CAD. My son and I have built skis together he designed. He just purchased a house with a big garage and I am setting up a vintage Delta shop for him.
    like Larry I had a lot of good employees over the years and some have their own shop now.

In semi retirement I do some teaching and consulting with plans to work wood as long as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    In semi retirement I do some teaching and consulting with plans to work wood as long as I can.
    I'm curious what you consult on Joe. I'm at an awkward spot in my business, I'm working way too many hours and wearing too many hats.

Blog Entries
    It's not a legacy but I have four children that have rocked my grandchildren in chairs that I built.
    I have a grandson showing interest in woodworking, so who knows.

I must be older than most of you and I just celebrated 81.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I have a ton of pictures with my kids in the shop, at auctions, running a RAS, drill press, creating things, driving the fork lift, etc.
    I grew up a farm kid. I can fix most things, I know that hard work doesn't mean swinging the hammer, it means driving the nail. My wife and I can't have children, but if we could I'd want them to have those skills to change a water pump in a parking lot or know that it doesn't matter that you're tired, it's late, and that'll likely need stitches, because you need to grind whatever grist the mill requires. With that said, if I did have kids, I'd never wish this life upon them.

I turn 50 this year. I've been a cabinetmaker/furniture maker for 30-ish years. I've taught woodworking/metals/CAD/CNC for the last 12+ years......so I've passed what I could to about 1200 people so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Jon,

There could be a revival too! Take music, for example. Today it was announced that Sony was going to start stamping out vinyl records again. Who knows?

The ONLY 2 things guaranteed in life.....death and change.......from the moment you are born.
    Pretty cool, Ken. I was aware that there was still a vinyl cult following.Sony's plans should build interest even more, and then they can produce a new line of turntables to play the new vinyl on.Coincidentally, a young late 20's girl at work asked me to build a mid century style vinyl album holder for her this past week. So yes,maybe there is hope for a wwing revival as well.

I'm 40, I am sure my son would like to come in the shop, but I just don't trust him, he is 11 and has very severe ADHD. I bought him this little woodwork kit to make a picture frame box. When I walked back in, he is trying to saw his arm, hence little trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I grew up a farm kid. I can fix most things, I know that hard work doesn't mean swinging the hammer, it means driving the nail. My wife and I can't have children, but if we could I'd want them to have those skills to change a water pump in a parking lot or know that it doesn't matter that you're tired, it's late, and that'll likely need stitches, because you need to grind whatever grist the mill requires. With that said, if I did have kids, I'd never wish this life upon them.
    I want mine to learn whatever they want to, are interested in. My oldest wants to learn how to set up a moulder and grind knives.
    She has been cataloging my inventory of parts I have laying around. I told her she could start listings them for sale and I would give her 20%.

They love figuring out how things work and what they do.

I am 65, looks about average for this group. My elder son was pretty good at doing trim work when he was around, my daughter took wood shop in school, my younger son is a plumber, and not interested in wood. Who knows about the grandkids? The girls are less than excited now, at 10 and 12, but they used to hang out in the shop and would glue blocks to a piece of plywood. They also did artwork on scraps. Have been telling them to try woodworking in school, the older will be in 7th grade next year, and they have a course available. I had an ancestor who was a apprenticed cabinetmaker in England, before coming to America, maybe I am his legacy?