Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: How old are you and are you passing on a woodworking legacy?

38 here, both of my kids love spending time in the shop with me, but it doesn't last very long. When I am working hands on with them individually they last longer. I think at their age it's the love of interaction with me vs the love of actually making something. I think if I can generate some good memories for them in the shop they'll carry those on into adulthood and hopefully keep it alive in the family.
    USMC '97-'01

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    68 here. nature decided my wife and I were to remain childless, so I will pass on none of my interests or hobbies, but at least I have years of pleasure from woodworking, and fond memories of working with my Dad in his garage workshop when I was young.

Dang you guys are old

I'm 25 have a 5 and a 3 year old. The 5 year old doesn't care much but the 3 year old loves to come in and break stuff, I don't care just happy he's out there with me.

My kids arn't old enough and I haven't been doing it long enough to have a legacy. Maybe when I get older I'll care, but as long as they're doing something good in life, I'll be happy.

I am 56. Started WWing when I was 12. Did a little off and on up until 3 years ago. Now that I'm retired its my #1 hobby, pretty much in the shop daily. Have 3 grown girls who aren't interested in wwing. They're always wanting me to build stuff for them though. Have 2 grands, a boy and girl, ages 9 and 8 who occasionally piddle in the shop with me, but not real interested at this time. Hope that changes in the near future.

65 & my grandson is going to trade school to become a general contractor .
    He left his job at McDonalds this Summer to work for a plumber.
    My wife and I are tickled pink he's choosing to take a trade path.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I'm 57 with 3 adult kids. Been woodworking for the majority of my life, with a mix of heavy industrial work thrown in to pay the bills here and there. My eldest son loves woodworking, so does my daughter from a design perspective and my youngest son is perfectly capable at it but doesn't make the time. I have trained plenty of apprentices over the years, even had one win apprentice of the year. These days I spend a bit of time making my expertise available here. I leave others to judge the the value of that... Cheers!

My wife just had a surprise 60th birthday party for me, and half a dozen guys I trained showed up. They are all in business for themselves now, and a couple have sons working with them, so ya, I guess I do.

My three daughters, not so much.....

No children

32 with a 3 year old daughter and a baby boy. My daughter likes to come into the shop and play with little pieces of scrap wood, so maybe. The little guy is too young to tell yet.

37 and a 3 and 4 year old who love the shop. A little too young to start much but they like doing projects at my bench like putting painters tape all over my drills. If that keeps then busy and I can clean up that's fine with me! I try to get them involved in all my house and car projects hoping it will run off on them.

60 here. My son had no interest in anything like woodworking. He was a large motor skill kid and a great athlete. My daughter used to help me in the shop when she was growing up. She is now fearless. Is remodeling her own home with her husband, set her own toilet, hangs drywall,...
    Mark McFarlane

51 and my kids aren't interested. They're creative in their own way, but don't care about working with wood.

Old as dirt here, and all I'll pass along is the furniture I made. So I try to make things that will last.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I can't see how we woulds pass anything along with all the bouquet schools the boomer has created to train old farts. Dead end if you ask me . Woodworking has become a FASHION INDUSTRY . Lots of dead wood out there. the younger are not interested in taking the time it take to get the skill. they just want to build with the guidance of Goggle. heads think different today ! "I got an I phone so I do not have to learn a thing" 55 with a 21 year old intern in the shop this summer
    jack
    English machines

I'm 69. Passing on knowledge often with pithy phrases like "damn...that's ugly", " what kind of nut designs a house with 21 different sized windows just on the FRONT",and "you've worn out ANOTHER set of kitchen cabinets". I have an engineer son who lets me help him with stuff. Don't think he's taking any notes