Thread: CNC - Cutting thick Plexiglas

CNC - Cutting thick Plexiglas

I cut some Plexiglas for the first time and even though this is a simple project it seemed like a good one to post. Not woodworking but cool anyway; doesn't smell as good as Walnut - LOL!

David

David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

That is why I like a dust shoe that doesn't move with the router head

David, can you provide a link to that cutter? I couldn't find it at Fine Line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen one like that. Can you post a picture?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    David, can you provide a link to that cutter? I couldn't find it at Fine Line.

I don't think I've ever seen one like that. Can you post a picture?
    Nate told me when he sent it that he had just begun carrying those but I never checked to see if they were on his web site.

005 - 0 Flute bit.jpg
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Jerome, do you have a link to one like you have (or a photo)?

Thanks!
    David
    David

You need some stronger magnets on your dust shoe, I mash my shoe into clamps and things at almost full depth on the brushes with no problems at all... I don't think i've ever had mine come off during a cut, even when making deep moulds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Canada View Post
    You need some stronger magnets on your dust shoe, I mash my shoe into clamps and things at almost full depth on the brushes with no problems at all... I don't think i've ever had mine come off during a cut, even when making deep moulds.
    The real problem, Mark, is that this was a temporary build, a test. So I used MDF and it actually lasted about 6 months. A couple of weeks ago one magnet, of the two I used, popped loose (should have used 4 magnets). Since I planned to remake this I just put a drop of CA glue to hold it in place but some of the glue was on the magnet. I knew it wasn't going to hold that good and then compounded the problem by having it too low. Until I reglued the magnet it probably would have survived running into the clamps.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Falkner View Post
    The real problem, Mark, is that this was a temporary build, a test. So I used MDF and it actually lasted about 6 months. A couple of weeks ago one magnet, of the two I used, popped loose (should have used 4 magnets). Since I planned to remake this I just put a drop of CA glue to hold it in place but some of the glue was on the magnet. I knew it wasn't going to hold that good and then compounded the problem by having it too low. Until I reglued the magnet it probably would have survived running into the clamps.

Well and additionally you have the poly/vinyl exterior wrap around the shoe which doesnt allow the bristles to deflect. I think you did a masterful job of getting the machine through the cut, we've all been there and its never pretty, nor elegant. The fact that you posted the entire process speaks volumes. Maybe a pause, retract, remove the shoe, and restart/finish, would've been better but you got it there.

There have been times where Ive watched our machine heading into a knowingly bad situation and its almost like I freeze just to watch it lol. No running for the E-stop, no hitting pause. Its just like,.. hmmm that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Well and additionally you have the poly/vinyl exterior wrap around the shoe which doesnt allow the bristles to deflect. I think you did a masterful job of getting the machine through the cut, we've all been there and its never pretty, nor elegant. The fact that you posted the entire process speaks volumes. Maybe a pause, retract, remove the shoe, and restart/finish, would've been better but you got it there.

There have been times where Ive watched our machine heading into a knowingly bad situation and its almost like I freeze just to watch it lol. No running for the E-stop, no hitting pause. Its just like,.. hmmm that sucks.
    I added the clear carpet runner a couple of months ago because I wasn't getting enough suction. The gaps in my homemade brush were too wide so the suction came as much from the outside as it did from the inside. I rationalized that if I could restrict the air to just the inside of the dust shoe it would perform better - and man did it! It went from about 40% effeciency to somewhere in the high 90's. But it also increased the stiffness without me providing extra magnets to hold it in place during a sideways move. It was just waiting until I shot a video to fail, I just know it! LOL!

I figure the failures need to be shown to keep others from making the same mistakes, even the boneheaded moves get shown. Fortunately, I don't have a lot of those but they do creep up on occasion.

The other reason I did my best to keep it in place is that I knew it was halfway through the final pass so it wasn't going back around again. I thought it was funny that the magnet held onto the spindle for the retraction move. Cute, even...
    David