Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resaw upgrade?

Resaw upgrade?

I am considering upgrading my resaw bandsaw. I have a Grizzly G0513X2 I've had for about seven years and it's been flawless. I use it exclusively for resaw and ripping work, and presently am using a 1" Woodmaster CT. The saw and blade combination works very well and I have no trouble sawing veneers and ripping. The only problem is it's underpowered, having only a 2 HP motor, and I feel the saw is a little too small for the 1" blade as well. If I keep the saw I will probably move to a 3/4" carbide tooth later on.

The main problem is that any resaw or veneer cuts in stock over six or eight inches is VERY slow. It's hard to even use the full capacity of the throat due to the necessity to feed so slowly as to not choke the saw.

I'm considering moving up to a 20"/5 HP class saw, and I'm considering a Minimax or a Laguna, although I have no experience with either of them. Grizzly, of course, also makes saws in this size for considerably less money than the Italian saws. I'm also going to the AWFS show in Las Vegas in July, and there may be some deals available. Do any of the bandsaw gurus have any suggestions or recommendations?

thanks

Dave

Me personally? It would be a Minimax. These are very nice machines and if I were upgrading my bandsaw, it would be to a Minimax. I've actually been looking at their combo machines to replace my tablesaws and shaper.
    Blade width does not necessarily correlate with resew quality, or capability. I've seen a 36" Moak with a 1/2" blade used to resew and it had no problems. It's more setup, than blade width.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The Grizzly G0636x is a resaw monster at a great price. I bought one last Summer and am very happy with it. I have a 1", 1.3 tip Woodmaster CT on it and regularly slice 10" + wide veneer. It cuts as fast as you can push wood through it. Resale won't be as good as MM, but wasn't important to me.

John

I think you are hitting on the correct issue around re-sawing...power comes into play at some point...so an upgrade makes a bit of sense. I'm a fan of MiniMax bandsaws (and an owner), personally, but there are a number of good options available. I think that the AWFS show is going to be a good experience for you and yes, you may be able to get a deal on something nice; if not in price, in added "benefits" tacked on to the deal, depending on the manufacturer. Both my bandsaw and my J/P were purchased via shows, although I pre-arranged for the deal before the show, let them use it as a floor machine at the show and brought it home after the show closed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Both saws sound good to me.Even Johns saws sounds like a winner.
    I have the Aggazani B 20/20 4.8 hp and run the Woodmaster Ct and Resaw King no problems resawing any woods.
    Before I made infeed and out feed tables I wanted a bigger table.Im satisfied now.
    Good luck
    Aj

Thanks for all the information. I've been to the AWFS show two or three times before and there should be some interesting deals there plus I will probably get to try out all of the saws I'm interested in.

Another alternative would be to put a larger motor on my existing Grizzly; anyone have any experience trying that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Another alternative would be to put a larger motor on my existing Grizzly; anyone have any experience trying that?
    I was going to suggest that but didn't think you want to go that route. I have put one on a band saw but put one in a grizzly sander. Get a c faced motor with the right shaft size. The worst part might be that you have to make an adaptor plate to so you don't have to drill holes in the bandsaw.

What about just replacing the motor with something more powerful?

If you want to put a larger motor on your saw I would step up the speed at the same time, to something in the 4500 fpm range. Saws that resaw well have powerful motors and run the band at high speed to clear the swarf faster.

John

Might be a reason it came with a small motor.Thats blade is probably maxing out that saw and you could twist the frame on a saw if you push it hard enough.
    Ive noticed how the sound of my Resaw changes from a 5 inch cut it a 10 or 12 in hard wood like hickory.Theres some serious pressure going on.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Might be a reason it came with a small motor.Thats blade is probably maxing out that saw and you could twist the frame on a saw if you push it hard enough.
    Ive noticed how the sound of my Resaw changes from a 5 inch cut it a 10 or 12 in hard wood like hickory.Theres some serious pressure going on.
    Yeah, I think a 5 HP motor would be overdoing it on this saw. It would probably involve a larger frame size motor, and a bigger shaft, and it could get complicated in a hurry. I sold my engine lathe and mill when I moved, so I'm no longer set up for fabrication projects like this. I could probably go to a 3 HP motor without much trouble but I don't think the incremental increase would be worth the effort. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new saws at AWFS.

Well, AWFS is two weeks away, and my wife didn't say NO yet....I think I have narrowed it down to the Felder FB-610, Minimax MM20 or Laguna LT-20. I'm leaning toward the Minimax, but I want to take a hard look at the Felder, too. However, the MM20 seems to be a SMC favorite.

Blog Entries
    Pretty satisfied with my MM20 and originally thought I would never use it to full capacity, I have come very close more than a few times. I use a woodmaster Ct 1.3t and have resawn 19" of white oak without the saw even blinking.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks, Brian, I appreciate the endorsement. I can't imagine trying to resaw 19" of anything with my present saw.

Brian,
    Are you using a tall auxiliary fence?

Matt