Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gluing Corian to plywood

Gluing Corian to plywood

What adhesive would you advise for attaching Corian to plywood for an outdoor table?
    it has to be ready for a 6:00 PM cookout. Thanks, Kevin

Silicone would probably work best. I'm not sure it will be dr in time. Screw it from the bottom to hold it in place till the glue dries.

Epoxy will do the job. I use WEST system, which would take about 4 hours to achieve a permanent bond. Silicone would not be a good choice, under the circumstances.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Actually, silicone would be the better choice. Epoxy is too ridgid. The plywood and corian will expand and contract at different rates according to solar gain and humidity swings. You need permanent flexibility.
    Yes, plywood DOES expand and contract with moisture change, just not as much as solid wood.

Unless you had an extra ordinarily thick bond line I see no possible advantage to using silicone; the downside being it could take days to cure, where the OP has only hours.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Screws.

extra words

Ok, lots of well meaning, but bad advise here.

Dont use screws unless you'd like your Corian in multiple pieces. Guaranteed best way to break Corian is by trying to drive a screw into it.

Silicone is the way to go. It provides a flexible bond. Corian expands and contracts and if it is restricted while its expanding it simply breaks.

throw down 1" diameter blobs every 16"-24" around the perimeter with a couple in the middle.

If if you need to use it before the silicone sets, throw down a few blobs of hot glue to keep it from moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rimel View Post
    Ok, lots of well meaning, but bad advise here.

Dont use screws unless you'd like your Corian in multiple pieces. Guaranteed best way to break Corian is by trying to drive a screw into it.

Silicone is the way to go. It provides a flexible bond. Corian expands and contracts and if it is restricted while its expanding it simply breaks.

throw down 1" diameter blobs every 16"-24" around the perimeter with a couple in the middle.

If if you need to use it before the silicone sets, throw down a few blobs of hot glue to keep it from moving.
    Used to be a Dupont certified installer, what he said is absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Used to be a Dupont certified installer, what he said is absolutely correct.
    As was I.

Screw through the solid surface into the ply. Over size the hole, torque by hand to get through whatever was needed today. Make it big and cut off the screws later

Eric and Larry are dead right and I know for the same reason. Rigid fix it and it's history. Hope the cook out went well. Cheers

Flush wood trim around the edges and let the top float. it will not blow away. The wood can be screwed or nailed so no wait time for glue to dry.
    Bill

I would use rubber cement as if you were applying plastic laminate to the plywood. It is made for the purpose. The bond is very quick curing and is flexible enough to compensate for minor differences in expansion due to temperature or humidity. No fasteners would be required but you need to be careful with assembly. Once you make contact between the surfaces, no adjustment is possible.

I like that three certified installers have told how to do it, yet there's still a debate.

No, that's NOT what rubber cement is for.

For anyone cruising the webs wondering how to hold your Corian down, again:

Silicone blobs about the size of a quarter every 16"-24". Don't put screws through the top. Don't try to drive a screw into it. Silicone.
    Last edited by Eric Rimel; 07-02-2017 at 12:15 PM.

My idea also has to do with this being outdoor table. I assume it will be moved around. Having the top floating means it can be pulled off to lighten the load. I see no reason for the top to be permanently attached to a table. Surface plates are not attached to their supporting tables and heavy work is moved around on them all the time without issues.
    For a light weight tops indoors I can see why you would need to glue it down so it does not shift around. But laminate floors are not glued down and they work fine that way.
    Bill