Thread: Modern Lounge Chair

Blog Entries

Modern Lounge Chair

I have decided to build the chair featured in the June issue of Popular Woodworking.
    I have four 72"X 8"X 1" pieces of a good old Texas wood, mesquite. I bought them at
    Clark's Hardwood Lumber in Houston. (The last sentence is a gloat, we can just get in the
    truck and buy about any specie of wood there). I went over there yesterday.
    I almost bought some 1X8 boards curly maple they have. I'll save that for another day.

This will be my second mesquite chair. About twenty years ago, Pail Sellers was at Hometead
    Heritage in Waco, Texas and I attended his first two week class making the Brazos Rocker.
    Google "Brazos Rocker"
    The chair was made of mesquite. I watch my nightly TV shows sitting in that chair.

Check out the article, you may want to build the chair.

https://www.shopwoodworking.com/popu...-digital-issue
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-08-2017 at 1:13 AM.

I worked mesquite once and really like it.(My planer wasn't very happy that stuff is hard)
    Its very expensive here and not very good looking.The last time I looked I think it was around 30$ a bf.
    The chair looks nice.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    Also, mesquite can stain your hands, as come other species do. Concentrated lime juice will clean if off your hands.

Also, I can't correct the spelling in the thread name, oh well. If a moderator can do it, please do.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-01-2017 at 2:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    The Danish Seat Cord arrived today and the mesquite wood for the frame has been acclimating in my shop for almost a week.
    It is time to start the modern lounge chair.

I may make two chairs, I think a curly maple chair would be striking as well.

I mis-spelled lounge in the title, but I do not know how to correct the spelling.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-07-2017 at 1:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    The Danish Seat Cord arrived today and the mesquite wood for the frame has been acclimating in my shop for almost a week.
    It is time to start the modern lounge chair.

I may make two chairs, I think a curly maple chair would be striking as well.

I too am going to build this chair. Besides the seat cord there's plenty of other hardware to buy to make it. I spent a good sum at McMaster getting that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have four 72"X 8"X 1" pieces of a good old Texas wood, mesquite. I bought them at
    Clark's Hardwood Lumber in Houston. (The last sentence is a gloat, we can just get in the
    truck and buy about any specie of wood there). I went over there yesterday.
    I almost bought some 1X8 boards curly maple they have. I'll save that for another day.
    It's really cruel to gloat like that! I have two mesquite boards that I am carefully saving for some very special project. I paid a fortune for them.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico