Thread: Moxon Vise Transfer Rest

Moxon Vise Transfer Rest

There have been a few posts recently on Moxon vises. Some have considered adding the Benchcraft table (creating a bench-on-bench), and others have considered incorporating David Barron's side fence. My reply has been: the table places the work pieces too low down in the vise, and you will end up cutting into the chop when you transfer the saw cut. The side fence is an excellent idea, but it is another jig that is about the same size as the moxon vise itself. Actually, the table is large as well.

I have a tiny add-on that solves the issues of transfer for me. Not the blue tape method, which is about making lines visible, but the issue of holding the boards in a way that limits any movement.

In truth, I have two add-ons, and the second is not tiny. But it is not large, and one can forgo it. Still, the two together are terrific.

Here is my set up. The moxon vise lives under my bench. It is secured down by two hold downs.

The add-on is attached at the rear of the vise with a hinge ...

Flip it over, and a spacer rests on the rear of the vise. The top of the space has 400 grit wet-and-dry as non-slip ...

The height of the spacer is the same as the rear rest (I-Beam), which as has non-slip. If you instead use a handplane as a rest, you can save on one more jig.

The method is to raise the pin board up to the spacer, and then rest the tail board on top. The non-slip will prevent it from moving ...

It is very simple to align the two boards. Either use the back of a wide chisel ...

... or use a square against the face of pin board and the side of the tail board. Both these methods are very accurate. The most recent drawer that I dovetailed is 40" long, and any small error would have shown up here.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek, clear and precise.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Well thought out as always Derek

Derek,

Add my attaboy, good idea well executed.

ken

Derek, your ingenuity and attention to detail are what draw me to your threads. I also appreciate that you are self-taught.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Many thanks Hilton (will you be anywhere in Cape Town in December?), Hasin, Ken and John. I post these jigs and ideas for guys like you.

Regards from Perth

Derek

"... The side fence is an excellent idea, but it is another jig that is about the same size as the moxon vise itself. Actually, the table is large as well."

The Barron's alignment jig doesn't need to be big at all (12" wide is more than good enough, half the length of a Moxon's vise?). To use the jig for a much larger piece (wider or longer or both), the solution is to support the large stock underneath with a spacer block or board that is the same thickness of lumber the jig is made of. It is like supporting a long stock on the far end wth a spacer when using a bench hook.

Your idea works well, but in terms of ease of set-up and accuracy, the Barron's jig is hard to beat.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 07-03-2017 at 11:38 AM.