Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost Pictures

Photobucket has been circiling the drain for a long time........IMO, the adds keep getting worse, making the site almost un-useable.
    Their add income isn't covering costs anymore, this is a last ditch effort to keep the lights on, it won't end well for anyone.

Ed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kreinhop View Post
    As a photographer, I prefer to keep the majority of my images on my Smugmug site where I have complete control of them. If I decide later that I don't want my linked images displayed, and can't edit my posts to remove them, it is fairly easy to break the link at the host site and without affecting the text content in the post.

The offer of using SMC as the image host will likely appeal to the majority of the members, and is certainly easier than maintaining a separate hosting account. Since I already have the host account for other purposes, I am content to continue using it.
    For many posts on SMC, the text is meaningless without the images.

Over the years I have seen many posts become next to useless, as sources of information, because of image links being broken.

It is difficult for me to imagine wanting to remove any of my images from past posts. Even the embarrassing ones may help someone else or have value in another way.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sometime in the future all of the free picture hosting sites will disappear. The list of those who went offline over the years is pretty long now so its reasonable to think that they all have a short future as the costs associated with hosting continues to increase.

This morning I had to remove a major thread here because the OP's pictures were all dead links. This made the whole thread useless when you consider that it was a "How To" kind of post, without the pictures your could not grasp the intent of the thread. What is sad about having to remove entire threads is that the people who took their time to reply and post their pictures in this particular thread also lost their posts. People give freely of their time here to help their peers and to contribute their expertise so everyone loses when pictures and other file attachments become dead links.

Please upload your file attachments here so they will remain online for everyone to enjoy. I have also mentioned in the past that you might have a son, daughter, or grandchild who finds what you have shared after you are gone...think about how precious it might be to you if you could find pictures and posts your grandfather made that were still available for your family. This February will be our 15th anniversary, all of the pictures that have been uploaded here are still available for you to enjoy. I don't have the current total but I can tell you that in 2014, 2015, and 2016 there were well over 50,000 pictures uploaded to SawMill Creek.

I have never assumed ownership of any files or text that anyone has shared here. All information, pictures and other file attachments have always remained the property of the owner and cannot be used by anyone other than SawMill Creek without written permission from the owner.

I have posted a lot of pictures to a photography site that I belong to .... all from Photobucket. When I go back a few years and pull the posts up the pictures still show but many other people's pictures I check don't. As the sample web page I'm including here from Photobucket shows on the right hand side, there are 4 ways to link to. I always chose the "direct" link. I'm wondering if that link would actually put the picture on the hosting site instead of just linking it back to Photobucket? Maybe someone with more knowledge than me in this matter could confirm whether this could be true or not.

Photobucket.jpg