Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've got shop gremlins.

Blog Entries

I've got shop gremlins.

It started a few weeks ago. I was working on a project and seated on the floor using my marking gauge, marking knife, and chisels. I reach for the marking knife and it is not there. "Okay," I thought, "it has to be within arm's reach because I have not moved from here." I looked and looked- nothing. I finally found it across the shop where it could not have just rolled because there were many obstacles in the way. It could only be one thing- Gremlins!

Next, I was looking for one of my 200 or so tape measures, and it was nowhere to be found. Later, I was taking out the trash and there it was, on top of the trash- which was nowhere near my workshop. Gremlins!

The final confirmation was today- I had a box of 5/16" lock nuts on the workbench. This time I even had photographic evidence because I had taken a picture for another post and they were seen in said photo. I went to Home Depot, came back, and they were nowhere to be found. I looked all over, even under that mounting pile of stuff on my bench. Not there. Later, I came back, moved one thing over, and there they were- under it. I had looked there earlier- I swear I had. Gremlins!

Does se anyone know how to get rid of them? Is there a spray or some sort of trap I can use?

image.jpeg

Man, I hope they don't steal your new large plow plane!

It's been my observation, they are prolific and increasing in population in my area.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Man, I hope they don't steal your new large plow plane!
    Don't even...

Blog Entries
    I've a bumper crop this year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    It's been my observation, they are prolific and increasing in population in my area.
    Somewhere out there is a nest, and it contains a whole lot of tools, nuts, and bolts, plus 1,000,000 tape measures.

I was down ther on vacation and came by to say hello, but it seemed like more fun just to move stuff around on you. Nice shop by the way!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I was down ther on vacation and came by to say hello, but it seemed like more fun just to move stuff around on you. Nice shop by the way!
    So... exactly what part of "Northern Michigan" are you in? Asking for a friend. (Checks flights to Michigan)

I find ....that in my shop.... the Gremlins increase proportionally to my age increase!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Does se anyone know how to get rid of them? Is there a spray or some sort of trap I can use?
    Hide the booze until after 5pm.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Hide the booze until after 5pm.
    Does that mean I can't have any either?

I built a raised bed garden with torx 3" torx screws.
    One day two of them were backed out 2".
    Couldn't possibly happen naturally. What vandal would not only have a torx screwdriver, but do something so time consuming and totally pointless?

My wife complains the shower isn't working right; the water is coming out in a solid stream rather than diffused.
    I check, she is right. Check further, the diffusing disk is missing. I was going to make a replacement, but the tolerances are too tight; wouldn't be worth the time required.
    I bought a new shower head, but couldn't get the old one off; so I thought maybe the diffusing disks might match?
    Well, the old showerhead had healed and the disk was back. It worked normally again.
    It is impossible for the disk to move; it might have been undersized and fallen out, but not temporarily!

I think our house is an old Indian burial site or something.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I built a raised bed garden with torx 3" torx screws.
    One day two of them were backed out 2".
    Couldn't possibly happen naturally. What vandal would not only have a torx screwdriver, but do something so time consuming and totally pointless?

My wife complains the shower isn't working right; the water is coming out in a solid stream rather than diffused.
    I check, she is right. Check further, the diffusing disk is missing. I was going to make a replacement, but the tolerances are too tight; wouldn't be worth the time required.
    I bought a new shower head, but couldn't get the old one off; so I thought maybe the diffusing disks might match?
    Well, the old showerhead had healed and the disk was back. It worked normally again.
    It is impossible for the disk to move; it might have been undersized and fallen out, but not temporarily!

I think our house is an old Indian burial site or something.

That is creepy. Classic case of gremlins. Play Justin Bieber music really loud for days on end. I hear it drives them away. Also try playing this over and over. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Also try playing this over and over. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44
    Dear God - that is AWFUL! It is so bad that they even made a follow up video called "hitler calls the trololo guy". (Which by the way is pretty darn funny!)

So the next time the neighbor's dog barks for a solid hour, he's getting an amplified version of that horrendous tune. Serious payback.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-03-2017 at 11:24 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Dear God - that is AWFUL! It is so bad that they even made a follow up video called "hitler calls the trololo guy".

YUCK! That should definitely scare away gremlins.

Next time the neighbor's dog barks for a solid hour, he's getting an amplified vesrion of that horrendous tune.
    There is a 50-hour version of it on YouTube but it takes a while to load. You're welcome. Give my regards to the neighbors.