Thread: Router Dust Collection

Router Dust Collection

Saw this advertised in the new issue of Wood magazine. Thoughts and comments???

https://www.oneida-air.com/inventory...rce=direct&utm
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Well i have a dust collection attachment for my plunge base on my dewalt palm router and it works ok about 1/2 the time. The port is really small and it gets clogged easily. It looks like this uses a similar theory but maybe a little better. I have found that the one i have does pretty well with spiral bits but with things like fluted flush cut bits and bits that remove a lot of material it doesn't keep up and tends to get clogged. The hose on mine also attaches vertically to the base so it is always in the way. This one at the very least looks to be less obstructive. It would probably be worth the $30 to see.

Evan, with what you have said would you buy it again? I have the same router with both the fixed and plunge base. I am considering the one I posted about for my Milwaukee 5615 router.

Thanks for your response
    George

Well you happened to post this about an hour after i finished trimming the face frame edges on a couple full height shelving units. I was using the dewalt palm router with the dust collector and had about 2" of sawdust piled up on my arm and everywhere else so right now i would say yes! Looking at it closer i think its design may address some of the problems the dewalt one has and even if it only catches 50%, that would be worth $30 IMO

This is an interesting idea. There is a guy who makes dust shoes for CNC Routers that uses magnets so the skirt can easily be removed to change the router bit. I expect the same idea could be applied to this attachment so you could not only remove the cup to change bits you could attach different size cups to the plate and accommodate a variety of bit sizes and styles.

IME, the only really good dust control for routers has to be shop built. I say this because often times the bit, depth of cut, location of cut will completely change the way the dust acts. Usually one design will take me multiple tweaks to get really efficient collection.

Blog Entries
    It will work till you smack it one time and break the tabs. Make it a little stronger and up to professional quality with an expected price increase and I'll find it very interesting...

Interesting thanks for sharing...
    Last edited by jack duren; 07-04-2017 at 11:54 AM.

It might be worth trying since Oneida makes it and I've always known them to sell dust collectors that are efficient and do the job. However, the only routers I've ever owned with dust collection that really works are Festool (not to start a brand discussion). It's not necessarily the base/collar that makes collection better. However it's likely that this Oneida base would improve collection for most other brands.

Blog Entries
    I use this one on my Milwaukees with good result. It does not address edge routing as shown in the video. For that I use this one on a base I use primarily for edge routing. I have another (discontinued) that threads into a standard PC template collar opening that I use on bases so equipped. The one you show handles either situation and appears better designed for a "fits most" offering. The hose attachment seems like the weak link (as far as breakage possibilities) but, that could be said of many after-market router DC add-ons.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I asked the Milwaukee rep at the last tool sale at Hartville Hardware if they had any dust collection for the 5615 and he said no, interesting.

Questions for Glenn ---

Are you using the Rockler one on the Milwaukee router?

Are you using these on the fixed base, plunge base or both?

Do you need to use the Rockler base plate or will the it work with the Milwaukee base plates?

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 07-04-2017 at 2:16 PM.
    George

i bought one but haven't used it yet. it does look to be well designed. There are several youtube videos "Oneida router dust hood"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AsVjIuBfvQ

I thought it looked pretty cool and would pick one up if I didnt own Festool routers.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Are you using the Rockler one on the Milwaukee router?

-- The Rockler one fits a Rockler base, not the Milwaukees. In this respect the Oneida seems more flexible.

Are you using these on the fixed base, plunge base or both?

Both.

Do you need to use the Rockler base plate or will the it work with the Milwaukee base plates?

Rockler plate required for the Rockler one I linked to.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler