Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a 20" or larger bandsaw I could use in the Tampa / St. Pete Florida area

Anyone have a 20" or larger bandsaw I could use in the Tampa / St. Pete Florida area

I am making a large jewelry box for SWMBO. The design involves convex curved sides. To accomplish this, I purchased a neat jig which actually works quite well making those curves: http://www.convexcurve.com/band-saw-tool.html (And, no, I don't have any association with that company other than buying their product.)

The problem is, the box I am building is about 18" long (which, when stood on its end translates to 18" of resaw capacity needed, plus about 1-1/2" extra for the jig - hence a 20" or greater resaw capacity bandsaw). I didn't think of this at the time, and my 14" Laguna SUV clearly won't fit the box.

So, long story short, I need to make 4 quick curves cuts on a bandsaw that's at least a 20" one (if not even a larger one).

Does anyone in the Tampa Bay / St. Petersburg / Clearwater Florida area have one that they wouldn't mind me coming over to make those cuts with the jig? If so, please send me contact info via private message. Thanks in advance. I'm hoping to make a nice present for my significant other for her birthday.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 07-03-2017 at 7:47 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Alan, I can't help with a big bandsaw, but I sure hope you'll post a review on that jig after you use it a few times!
    Fred

I have a mm20 but I am in Wpb. Lmk if you don't find anyone closer.

Allan, just to clarify, you need 20" of resaw not a 20" throat capacity right? Because I have a 20" saw (clearance from blade to spine) with about 12" of resaw.

Can't you just duct tape two 14" bandsaws together?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Allan, just to clarify, you need 20" of resaw not a 20" throat capacity right? Because I have a 20" saw (clearance from blade to spine) with about 12" of resaw.
    Yes, 20" of resaw capacity.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

And what width of blade do you think will be used on a 20" re-saw? Not something for cutting curves...

They aren't tight curves (it was either 8" or 10" radius, I don't recall which I set the jig for).

I've done it quite easily with a 1/2" blade on my 14" saw.

One shameless bump, as I'd love to make this design for my wife, but can't do it without a big bandsaw.

Anyone out there who has one near Tampa Bay?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    One shameless bump, as I'd love to make this design for my wife, but can't do it without a big bandsaw.

Anyone out there who has one near Tampa Bay?
    WPB isn't that far.....

Te shame of it is, I'll be there this weekend for a wedding, but am flying and won't have the time/ability to take the jig and make the box in time.

I'll PM you with some contact info if I can't find someone closer, and I truly appreciate the offer, Nick.

Blog Entries
    I believe it is very hard to stand a board on end and resaw it. The saw dust becomes long fibers and does not cut well. I tried this briefly on a chair seat becuase it was shorter, then returned to a normal orientation for the board.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Actually, I tried it on a few test boxes at a smaller size that my band saw can handle, and while clearly there will be sanding involved, the basic shape looks good, and I think it should work out okay. The inventor of the jig, for whatever that is worth, doesn't see that as an issue and has some nice samples on his website. But no question, sanding and smoothing will be involved.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 07-09-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Hey Alan. I have a y36 bandsaw with 19 3/8" resale capacity. I think if I flip the thrust bearing over I could get 21". Located in Lakeland

Nice first post Al.
    Welcome!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney