Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving Fillister Plane build.

Testing the slitting iron out on a short length of Aussie Hardwood. 1/2" set on the moving fence.

The lower exposed bed mortised out.

Drilling the waste out for the enclosed bed. The tool rest on the Pedestal Drill is set at 47 degrees.

47 degree mortising jig.

Early stages of fettling in the mortise to seat the wooden wedge + cutting iron.

WOW!!!! Thanks for resuming the build for us.

Indeed. Many thanks for now being deemed worthy to receive your wisdom! It was lonely without you Stewart.

I'd like to add my thanks -- fine work, Stewie

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    I'd like to add my thanks -- fine work, Stewie
    Appreciate the interest in my work Joe.

The cutting iron and its wooden wedge have now been fettled into their mortise housing. On the left side of the 1st and 2nd photo you can see the 90 degree edge float that I filed back to 70 degrees, then retoothed, to complete this mortise housing. Next on the list is the shoulder rebate on the outboard side of the plane.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-24-2017 at 5:23 AM.

I like seeing the pic where the drill press is involved--it's nice to know that Stewie does use the help of a precision machine and thus is human after all.

I mean this as some weird, underhanded form of compliment by the way. Beautiful work as always.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work as always Stewie – thanks very much for sharing your build!

I am super impressed; you're moving fillister has it all – skewed iron, knicker, depth stop, adjustable fence etc. I appreciate the complexity of the build and especially the tight tolerances are working to make all the parts function together. I'm sure this is going to be an awesome plane to use.

I look forward to seeing the rest of the build. Thanks for continuing to share your work here on SMC!

Best, Mike

Thanks Mike.

Profiling of the main stock, including the makers stamp have been completed, and the 1st coat of oil has been applied. After viewing the photo's, a chamfered edge on the outboard side of the toe is needed.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-26-2017 at 12:47 AM.

Further testing of the Moving Fillister Plane will occur on the weekend.

Stewie;

Look forward to hearing how further testing goes.

The finish really made the grain pop. Did you put any shellac under it or is that just oil? I like the way you "painted" your Maker's Mark. Did you just freehand that with a brush, or did you use another approach? (I ask that because I can't freehand worth a darn myself.)
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 07-28-2017 at 6:18 AM.

Fred; 3 coats of Danish Oil, followed by a paste wax that's buffed to a low sheen. Paint was dabbed over the Makers Mark with a small brush, left to dry, then scraped back with a card scraper to gain a clear definition.

Those of you that have never used a Moving Fillister Plane, may find the following video by Bill Anderson of interest; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKiJ46JhWSM

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Look forward to hearing how further testing goes.

The finish really made the grain pop. Did you put any shellac under it or is that just oil? I like the way you "painted" your Maker's Mark. Did you just freehand that with a brush, or did you use another approach? (I ask that because I can't freehand worth a darn myself.)
    Thanks Stewie. It's a beauty!

4 Moving Fillister Planes made by 3 well known British Plane Makers. Griffiths (Norwich) x2, Moseley & Son (London), Varvill & Sons (York).

3 Fillister planes match in skew direction. The Varvill & Sons (shown on the right) has the skew running in the opposing direction.

Final testing of the Moving Fillister Plane. 1st the cross grain dado with the nicker engaged, then move onto the side rebate with the nicker disengaged. Excellent results. Appreciate the interest during this traditional Fillister Plane build.

Stewie;