Thread: Rockets' Red Glare

Rockets' Red Glare

Rockets’ Red Glare is my tribute to the 4th of July. The HF was turned from a piece of birch burl and dyed black, sanded back and then dyed red. The finial was turned from a piece of cherry and dyed black. Overall dimensions are 6 ¾”W x 9 1/”H. It has been finished with 10 plus coats of WOP. C&C welcomed.
    Rockets Red Glare.jpg

Very nice !

Love it !

Steve, that is really beautiful! What did you use for the black and red dyes?

No criticism here. Outstanding!
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Beautiful beautiful beautiful! How fine was the sanding between coats? Was the final coat left as is, or buffed or waxed?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Beautiful

I like it Steve, very pleasing to the eye

Beautiful piece, very well done!!

Very nicely done.... my favorite part is that it gives me some inspiration to try some new things! I'd love to learn a basic lesson on how to do the dyeing process. It's a skill I haven't tried yet but I think I would really like to...

one dumb(?) question... is the finial attached to the hollowed vase or is it a removable "lid"?

Thanks everyone for your comments.

David, I use Chestnut Spirit Stain. You can get it at either Craft Supply USA or Wood World of Texas. It comes in a variety of colors. I also really like the Teal and Royal Blue they have.

Brian, I would sand after about 3 or 4 coats. Depending on when I thought I needed to get ride of the flaws that were created during the finishing process. The can of WOP says to sand with 220. I did that the first time, next I used the green scotch brite pad and then once I tried micro mess to get a glass smooth finish. However, I sanded thru the finish in one spot and had to apply several more coats. The final coat of finish was not sanded. I did apply a coat of Ren wax to help with fingerprints.

Harold, the method I use is one that I learned from Jimmy Clewes. There are several articles out there that explains the process. If you PM me, I will send you one of those articles.

Thank you very much.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Absolutely stunning.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

This is a beautiful piece Steve and I love the title of your piece, it fits very well. What is WOP? I am a new turner when it comes to bowls, platters ect as I come from 4 years as a pen turner as I am not up yet on all the terms of finishes on bowls. Thanks and very well done!

Thanks Lamar. WOP is wipe on polyurethane.