Thread: Band Saw Trouble Shooting Help Needed

Band Saw Trouble Shooting Help Needed

Hello Creekers,
    I am having some trouble with my 17-inch Bridgewood band saw. This morning I attempted to install a new 1/4" Timberwolf blade to do some pattern cutting. It seems that as soon as I turn the saw on, the blade "walks" its way right off the band saw tires, even after carefully adjusting the guides and tensioning the blade according to the guide posted on the saw. 4 attempts later and with the same result, I'm not sure what's causing this and I could use some guidance. I will add that this is the narrowest blade that I have used on this saw to date, but I'm not sure that should matter. Thanks in advance.

Are you getting the blade in the center of the wheels? Did you adjust the angle on the top wheel? Does it walk when you turn it by hand? Are you turning the wheels by hand after installing the blade? Are you bringing the top wheel up to apply the proper tension on the blade?

Whenever I install a new blade I back the guides off, set tension, then rotate the upper wheel by hand while adjusting the tracking until the teeth of the blade are in the center of the tire. Seems that you neglected to adjust the tracking.

Blog Entries
    As stated, you mention guides and tension but, do not refer to the top wheel tilt. Is this being adjusted to center the blade? If you run the wheels by hand in reverse does the blade stay put?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yes, turn by hand

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cullen View Post
    Whenever I install a new blade I back the guides off, set tension, then rotate the upper wheel by hand while adjusting the tracking until the teeth of the blade are in the center of the tire. Seems that you neglected to adjust the tracking.
    I strongly agree - I never turn the bandsaw on after installing a blade without first rotating it by hand to watch how it is tracking. (Moving all the guides out of the way first to avoid being tricked!) If it won't track properly when turned by hand it certainly won't when running.

JKJ

Thanks for the responses. I adjusted the tracking of the top wheel and the blade is running straight and true. Great bunch of folks on this forum. Thanks again!