Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see your Neander Shop!

Let's see your Neander Shop!

I love seeing other woodworking shops, neander or power, for the inspiration that they can bring to my own reorganisations of my shop. So post some images of your shop (neander or non-neander, despite the title).

I'll start with my basement workshop, which my wife very kindly allows me to have. I have half the garage for my power tools, but my basement shop is hand tool only and is closer to my heart:

20170702_211412.jpg
    First up is my bench I built close to two years ago, some of you might recall it. It's a little too short lengthwise and well out of flat by now but it has served me well. I used Derek's tutorial along with videos from Frank Strazza to learn to do the houndstooth dovetails. The little diamond caps at the end are to cover bolt heads, which I think look rather ugly.
    20170702_211253.jpg
    In this corner I built in some shelves where a fridge used to be. The shelves store my vintage planes and chisels, and also vintage squares, bit and brace, hand drills, dividers etc. The bottom holds clamps and glue, epoxy, wax etc. I plan on building a proper clamp rack soon. The blanket chest is one I found in very rough shape at an estate sale. The owners were selling it's contents but never imagined anyone would want it...so I bought it for $5. Patched up the veneer, restored a couple legs and painted it, and it looks great right now. I store my newer tools in there, so it's full of Veritas tools pretty much. This wont stay here forever though, I plan on making an english style tool chest or a wall cabinet - not sure which yet. I also have a bench drill press here, an indispensable tool.
    20170702_211329.jpg
    This is my little mini lathe that I love. I use it to make mallets, marking knives/awls, chisel handles etc. I find spindle turning very relaxing, so it gets a corner in my neander shop. Those tall handles there are my diy carbide lathe tools - bought carbide inserts and 1/2" square steel stock, machined the profiles and tapped and screwed them in. With the exception of the detail tool, they work phenomenally.
    20170702_211336.jpg
    On the same side as my lathe, is my wood storage wall and my woodworking book stack on a stool. Think that's close to capacity yet?
    20170702_211322.jpg
    I scored a great deal on some maple on Kijiji (like craigslist, or gumtree) and so my next bench is taking up valuable floor space and encroaching on non-shop territory. Currently waiting on purchasing the tail vise hardware. You can also see my Veritas MKII sharpening system that I also got a killer deal on Kijiji for. I like the tactile feel of sharpening by hand, but the MKII works great too.
    20170702_211435.jpg
    And that's all really. As you can see, it's a very 'cosy' space, so I'm always looking for cool storage or organisation ideas. And here's a walnut coffee table I'm working on right now to conclude.
    Last edited by Hasin Haroon; 07-04-2017 at 3:49 PM.

Make take a few pages for the Dungeon Shop......

I'm too embarrassed to show mine. It's sad, but it works for me.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Bit of a mess this evening, but here it is.

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Steven, all we have is time
    Brent, nonsense, let's see it!
    Brian, I love the airy aesthetic of your shop - the space has a very pleasant ambience. Love it.

Blog Entries
    My shop area hasn't been that tidy since before I moved in.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My shop area hasn't been that tidy since before I moved in.

jtk
    I was going to say: I could clean and rearrange for a month and it wouldn't match Brian's so I'll post a couple or three where it is messier than normal : IIRC the planing bench had just been moved to its current position in front of the joinery bench and stuff was strewn all over the shop along with needing a good sweeping up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it that this was a special case....MsBubba might disagree but what does she know.

shopFromRightEndJoineryBench160928.jpgshopFromLeftJoineryBench160928.jpgshopFromJoineryBench160928.jpg

I'm not sure where the big red tool chest is, normally it is under the chisel and saw till behind the left end of the joinery bench.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 07-05-2017 at 2:53 AM.

Here goes..
    stair view.JPG
    View at the bottom of the stairs
    dresser.JPG
    Turn to the left..
    work zone.JPG
    Work zone, most of the time..
    bench.JPG
    Not the prettiest gal, but seems to work out alright..
    drills.JPG
    Tils?
    drill til 2.JPG
    Tils
    clean bench.jpg
    Somedays, I can even see the top of the bench, and the til for the chisels...

Things are a bit full down there, right now, but this is the Five Cent Tour...

Yeah Brian, a right mess ...

Nice hand tool set up.

Regards from Perth

Derek

IMG_2128.jpgMy place is kind of hybrid half trailer and half stick built. this view is the mud room side looking east.

IMG_2776.jpgOutside machine area.
    IMG_2779.jpgTrailer tool storage area
    IMG_2781.jpgHand tool work area in my big room (10 x 12), pass thru to trailer kitchen
    IMG_2782.jpgMud room storage
    IMG_2778.jpgHelper
    Last edited by Rick Malakoff; 07-05-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Rick:

Nice use of space....

Andy

Here is my shop; my back yard. I don't have any pictures, so will have to post this video. Not necessary to watch if you don't want to; the preview pretty much shows you what I have.

And here is a shot of my bench indoors where my tools live. I don't do much wood working here, mostly guitar electronics, setup and repair.

100_3606.jpg
    100_3605.jpg
    More tool and clamp storage wherever I can get it.
    100_3600.jpg

Saw on left is a Millers Fall. Plastic handle. Bought it for a dollar just because it was a Millers Fall. Not high enough quality to be a user. I have a couple of Disston in rehab, and a Warranted Superior. Blade on right is one of the Disston. Center is a Nicholson.

100_3609.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 07-05-2017 at 2:30 PM.

Took this picture a few days ago. A bit messy since I'm in the middle of a project right now (making some bat houses).

What are the sizes of your shops? It looks like most of you all do a lot with a modest amount of space. We're in The process of moving and I'm very interested in what others feel is a minimum or optimum space requirement to run a hand tool only shop. project size runs the gamut. Our previous home had almost too much space available which really just led to a ridiculous amount of unorganized sprawl.