Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your Neander Shop!

As everyone else, shop space is at a premium. My lumber is currently on gorilla racks along one wall of the shop, but I've been thinking the shop flow might be better if I could move that out to a shed. But keeping it accessible (as opposed to a clutter-catcher) would seem to be the trick. I'm curious how others use a shed -- wood on racks or stored on-end; how do you access the wood; how to use the space efficiently. I'm wondering if a shallow, lean-to style shed with entrance from the long sides might work better for this.

My shop area is mixed-use, occupying a bit less than half of our garage. My goal was to keep power tools in a compact cluster that had some utility as-is, and allow the tools to be pulled out if needed for more expansive use. I'd like the bench and handtools to always be available for use. (this picture is a bit old; currently have a bunch of family-related items stored near the bench -- this should

Handtools are in a pair of cupboards up above the right end of the workbench. One for planes and the other for layout, joinery saws, and chisels. My most-used tool is probably my double square, which is in a holder underneath the shelf in the layout/chisel cupboard. Still building these out (plan some more cubbies for specialty planes and also an area for rasps). I do sharpening on the opposite side of the garage (closer to utility sink). I do keep a strop in the plane cupboard and will use that to touch-up. Workbench is roubo-styled, with metal vises on face and end. I don't use the bench dogs too much, but use the holes frequently for veritas planing stops or gramercy holdfasts. Both work very well.
    Lumber racks are on the opposite side of the garage. If doing much woodworking, I'll displace the car and make a temporary table with sawhorses in the middle of the garage (good for assembly or pulling-down boards).

IMG_1634.jpgIMG_9064.jpgIMG_9065.jpg

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 07-15-2017 at 3:11 PM.

I really like your plane till, Matt. That's got be a project for me soon. At the moment, I store them on a shelf just under the bench top (and on a separate tool tower, aka junk bin holder, and in a cabinet).

Nicely done Matt! I am fortunate in that I can leave my larger tools where are. Although much is movable. I used to have the Frid style bench in front of the tool cabinet but found for my methods, I like having it behind me these days.
    Anyway... here are pics of the wood storage shed. I can store lumber up to about 9 feet long on the left. I can slide 4x8s in and out on the right. Some vertical storage is on the end. I do like to keep new current project lumber in the shop stored vertically as the last pic shows. The shed storage is not perfect, things get covered up and while I have tried to secure the panels in various ways they tend to fall to the left during access at times. The shed is nearby and unclutters the shop.

IMG_4923.jpgIMG_5624.jpg IMG_9418.jpgIMG_0872.jpg

Inspired by all of your beautiful shops and also procrastinating on a difficult part of my coffee table build, I decided to add a tool wall to my neander shop. 20170715_112814.jpg

I wanted everything to be easily accessible: i.e. not have to move any other tool when trying to retrieve a certain tool. So far I'm really enjoying it in use and as someone that finds tools beautiful, enjoy seeing my tools out in the open.

Wonderful thread, thanks for starting it and thanks for all you are so kind and take time to share.

Hasin, love the tool wall.

[QUOTE=Brian Holcombe;2704572]Bit of a mess this evening, but here it is.

If that's a mess, I'm never showing mine.

Blog Entries
    I'm neck deep in kitchen cabinets at the moment, so it is worse still.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Just a bump.

Blog Entries
    Well, I've made some changes around the shop. I see clients in my studio so I am always mindful of the shop's appearance. Also, sometimes I just get really tired of looking at ugly corners of the shop. Spend enough time in one place...

Eventually I'll work out the remaining walls to be something a bit nicer and probably put a wooden ceiling in (with lift out panels).
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian,

Looks great, sometimes wish mine was as nice. Of course I do not have clients visits to concentrate my clean up and origination efforts....Who am I kidding, mine would look about the same if the Queen was on her way over.

Anyway here are some recent photos of the three main benches:

mainBenchWithSVForePlane171104dscf2087.jpg

Main bench.

joineryAndAssemblyBench171104dscf2089.jpg

Prep and assembly bench.

sharpeningBench171104dscf2092.jpg

Sharpening bench.

ken

Awesome shops guys! I dream of the clean and beautifully organized shops most of you have created. Most of you have cabinetry and storage nicer than anything in my kitchen, let alone the shop! That said, I am an absolute sucker for make-shift creative solutions and reuse materials, tools and such. That's reflected in my shop mostly out of necessity, I admit, but I like to think it builds character (and we certainly have a couple of characters here).

Oak cabinet / laminate work table was left by the previous homeowner; it does the job. I put up the pegboard in a desperate attempt for tool organization and the thought that I wanted to SEE them all. Not sure that dream was ever realized. Most of the tools reside in a small pine toolbox my dad made me as a gift along with a really large old pine tool box that I found at a garage sale. Absolutely full of tools that were all in pieces and varying states of wear and tear. The seller had no idea what was in it, and to be fair, it was in such disarray, I didnt either. What I could find was rough, but after getting it all home and unpacked and rebuilt, the chest is my main tool storage, and the contents yielded a complete Stanley miter box with dull but very nice Disston back saw, a Stanley #7, a couple of spoke shaves and handsaws that became users with a little work, a cool Shelton vise (which is now my tail vise), and the list goes on. I should've paid three times as much for it, but the seller was simply excited that someone was ready to tackle the task of putting his grandfather's tools back to work. All of that description and no picture of it... sorry.

Bench top is reclaimed poplar pallet material that was roughly 3.5" x 2.5" (only slightly smaller now). I hand planed three sides of each board just to get them glued up and flat. The underside of the bench top is still rough sawn and all over the place, except where it rests on the base of pine framing lumber. I read all of the debates of tool wells versus no tool wells and was all convinced that I didnt need a tool well either... until I realized that I didn't have enough of the poplar to do the whole top.... hello tool well!

Thats the story of everything in the shop. One man's trash seems to be my treasure. I have not one single Neander-tool that is younger than I am, and a lot of them that are over twice my age (43). Admittedly, I am just now transitioning from rust hoarder / tool repairman to actual wood worker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steven's dungeon and Rick's combo shed / trailer make me smile.... I love them. But Andy, your shop is incredible. I love your bench and storage ideas (little milk paint drill cabinet is just as cool as it gets). In addition to the great workmanship and organization, the amount of natural light in that space is tremendous. You must get a lot of work done because I feel like that's a place I wouldn't leave very often!
    Good work!

14. Brian,

If you don't mind sharing, what is the foot print of your shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Well, I've made some changes around the shop. I see clients in my studio so I am always mindful of the shop's appearance. Also, sometimes I just get really tired of looking at ugly corners of the shop. Spend enough time in one place...

Eventually I'll work out the remaining walls to be something a bit nicer and probably put a wooden ceiling in (with lift out panels).

Blog Entries

It's a Mess, But It is Home

Went through this thread again and noticed my shop isn't shown.

It is a bit of a mess. Clean enough to be healthy, messy enough to be happy.

Here is a straight in view from the door:

From Door 1.jpg

Here is a pan to the right:

From Door 2.jpg

The first bench is used for oilstones, parts, planes, chisels and other over flow items:

OilStone & Tool Bench.jpg

The drawers contain sets of twist drills, chisels, spokeshaves, small planes, rasps, files and a lot of other items including hardware.

In the back corner is where saws, more gouges, more parts and a few other things are stowed:

Saws & Spare Parts.jpg

This is a close up of the carving tools and a few other items:

Saws, Gouges & stuff.jpg

Moving to the right is the plane storage wall:

Plane Wall.jpg

Next is the power sharpener and water stone bench:

Water Stone Bench.jpg

Finally we get to the wood rack:

Wood Rack.jpg

There is a lathe and a bit more storage behind the wood rack

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)