Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things that make you say hummm........

Things that make you say hummm........

So I stopped into my local bargain tool store today. Wanted to stop in over the weekend but did not have the chance.
    Turns out it was 25% off coupon today only. (only one 25% off coupon per customer per day) The place was PACKED.
    So I'm standing in a long line to buy my one item. Never seen so many young kids buying tools in my life. ( Guess there is a run on 10 year old's needing a 72" tool cabinet ) So after waiting and waiting in line what seemed like forever watching customer after customer being told. 25% off is not good on tool boxes and generators. I get to check out.
    Yes, The coupon said discount not good on tool boxes but would it have been too much trouble to put a sign up on the tool boxes and generators in store saying the same thing.

I worked in retail for years. I always hated events like this. Some customers get crazy when they think a bargain is to be had.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Some customers get crazy when they think a bargain is to be had.
    Yup. Black Friday, Winter Whites sales, etc. It's astonishing how badly normally nice folks will act to get a bargain. I think it's the thrill as much as the money. I've seen sorta similar behavior at auctions - they get all caught up in it and overbid. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Yup. Black Friday, Winter Whites sales, etc. It's astonishing how badly normally nice folks will act to get a bargain. I think it's the thrill as much as the money. I've seen sorta similar behavior at auctions - they get all caught up in it and overbid. Go figure.
    It's a fine line between normally and nominally..
    I went to a black Friday sale..once.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

My wife needed some limes the other day so off to market I go. Big sign 3 for $1.00 or 33 cents each. Made me say hummm.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    My wife needed some limes the other day so off to market I go. Big sign 3 for $1.00 or 33 cents each. Made me say hummm.

I ran a retail garden center for over 20 years. We sold mulch for $1.99 a bag. Gas station down the road advertised Mulch 4 bags for $10.
    Not a day passed where one customer would walk in and ask "You going to price match the gas station?"
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-09-2017 at 10:12 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Blog Entries
    I ran a retail garden center for over 20 years. We sold mulch for $1.99 a bag. Gas station down the road advertised Mulch 4 bags for $10.
    My brother used to sell things at computer trade shows one time he messed up on a sign and put $3 each or 3 for $10.

He would explain to people that he goofed on the sign but they mostly told him to keep the extra buck.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So I stopped into my local bargain tool store today. Wanted to stop in over the weekend but did not have the chance.
    Turns out it was 25% off coupon today only. (only one 25% off coupon per customer per day) The place was PACKED.
    So I'm standing in a long line to buy my one item. Never seen so many young kids buying tools in my life. ( Guess there is a run on 10 year old's needing a 72" tool cabinet ) So after waiting and waiting in line what seemed like forever watching customer after customer being told. 25% off is not good on tool boxes and generators. I get to check out.
    Yes, The coupon said discount not good on tool boxes but would it have been too much trouble to put a sign up on the tool boxes and generators in store saying the same thing.

I worked in retail for years. I always hated events like this. Some customers get crazy when they think a bargain is to be had.
    You would think the other folks standing in line with tool boxes and generators would see the same thing, hear the same things, and they would just walk away rather than persist in line! Thats what makes me go hmmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post

Not a day passed where one customer would walk in and ask "You going to price match the gas station?"
    Well did you match the gas station?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-09-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Going to the flea market and seeing a Keen Kutter hand saw next to a Simmons saw,and the guy wants $35 for the KK and $5 for the Simmons. They are made by the same company, Simmons. Hummmm!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Buying a Brown and Sharpe machinest square for $5.00. Booth owner told me it was a good thing that it wasn't a Stanley, or he would have charged more. Walk around HF giving out 20% off coupons. You would think you were Santa Claus.

45 years ago when I worked in a retail paint store, during the busy months we would run a Saturday Only sale every Saturday. We would take a random item, like a 2" paint brush or a pack of 5 single edge razor blades......mark them UP a few percent and toss them in a bucket by the cash register - with a big sign, Saturday Only Sale.
    They always sold like hot cakes
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Our local KMart is (finally) on the most recent closing list. We've gone by there in the past several months numerous times and have seen literally 4 or 5 cars there. Now its packed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    That looks like a recipe for derailment. Must be one of those lousy jobs where if you say it is unsafe you are out of a job and find someone more desperate to do it instead.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Our local KMart is (finally) on the most recent closing list. We've gone by there in the past several months numerous times and have seen literally 4 or 5 cars there. Now its packed.
    I heard from an employee at the local K-Mart about 6 months ago that it won't be long until K-Mart just goes under, taking Sears with it. They just can't compete. She said that, according to what she'd heard, our local store is going away by the end of the year. So it was funny when we drove by recently and they had a big sign up that said "Everything 20-50% off, we're getting ready for new stuff". Sure they are. They're clearing the store. It's the beginning of the end.