Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

5 July 2017

Good Evening / Morning Everyone,
    I'm getting an early start on posting as I have things to do early in the morning.
    The LOML and I got away for a couple of days. The first time we've gone out on our own in several years. It was much needed to relax, sleep in, and eat out without having to cook, clean, or wash dishes. Really nice and we'll have to do that again before too long.
    It's been raining and storming here off and on a good bit and with it being hot and near 100% humidity all the time, it's really hard for me to get the get-up and go...to get in the shop and sweat all over everything.
    We cooked out for the 4th of July and celebrated the LOML Jr's birthday as well. Food, family, and fun....how could I ask for more!!

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this Independence Day weekend?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Drove to Macon, GA for son's wedding. Took 308 photos. Wife and I celebrated our 47th anniversary on the same day.

Snatched some just-hatched baby guineas from the warm nest of a very angry and aggressive mama guinea hen.

Built a custom circuit to sound a very loud alert in my new little 4wd farm truck if put into gear with the parking brake engaged. The Kubota factory's design is a tiny idiot light on the dash. Unacceptable.

Turned a bit of Cocobolo on the lathe.

Suffered through eating some fresh blueberry pie, courtesy of our bushes and the Best Cook in the southeast. A terrible job but somebody has to do it.

JKJ

Spent the weekend getting ready for the roofers to show up tomorrow, only now, they probably won't come until Monday because we have a high probability of rain for the next 3 days. If it's not one thing, it's another. Wound up buying a new TV after ours died last night. So that's how I spend my 4th.

Drove down to Snug (yes it is a real place and they are liars because there was black ice everywhere!) to pick up a car identical to one of ours for spare parts. Haunted the wood heater for the rest of the weekend nursing man flu. Cheers

Weekend

Made these IMG_0003.jpg
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Hmm, have to think. We went camping for a night up to northern Wisconsin on Friday night. (I forgot how bad traffic is on a holiday weekend.) Came back Saturday to see Duke Roubilard play at a local festival.

Sunday I started organizing my garage area of the outbuilding in preparation of housing the car hauler trailer and Jeep Wrangler. Then we went to see the VelveetaTones and The Jimmies play at the same festival.

Worked Monday, and put some handles on my screw cabinet.

Yesterday we went for a 15 mile bicycle ride, then went kayaking for a few hours and finally went to see the fireworks.

Today I am in to work to rest...

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    Made these IMG_0003.jpg
    John, assuming the piece on the left is engraved wood, did you use a paint mask?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I made a 'hidden hose holder' for my sister-n-law. One of those 'here's a pic, can you make me one ' projects.

My 1st time using cedar (from the blue borg). That stuff chips/splinters or cracks if you look at it mean.

My extra long weekend had a major project planned...expansion of our parking area so that "The Princess" would have more space and things wouldn't be so tight for "through traffic", such as her parents' vehicles or the big brown truck. 23000 lbs of stone and $400 of timbers were ready and waiting. An hour into the project on Saturday after picking up the lumber, I blew a hydraulic hose on my backhoe. It was also 15 minutes past when all three of the local tractor dealers were closed for the remainder of the weekend. So I worked on other things through Sunday and got the hoses replaced on Monday after I was done with physical therapy. Now, mind you...hydraulic hoses follow the Murphy's Law corollaries for plumbing projects, meaning you cannot go to the supplier just once...there's ALWAYS a return trip. In this case, I couldn't get the original fitting off the chunk of broken hose and had to go back to the tractor place and get their help. (Having only one hand with full strength only partially explains this... ) At any rate I got a good chunk of the digging done later that day and spent the morning of the 4th playing lumberjack, cutting up a downed tree from Sunday's nasty weather. Unfortunately, another tree was also down...and it took out hive number 4 with it, missing hive number 3 by two inches.

And to top it all off...the tree company taking down a nearly dead ash tree at the end of the driveway on the north side that we share with a neighbor (as well as the neighbor's tree that got knocked over by the wind, hitting their home) managed to drop a branch on the fiber optic cable from the street that provides our Verizon FiOS service...and cracking the fiber at the strain relief, which is pretty hard to do. Imagine three days with no Internet, no phone and no wireless phone service because the microcell couldn't get to the Internet...with four family members who pretty much are online if they are awake, me included. Oh, my...it was painful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    _

[
    And to top it all off...the tree company taking down a nearly dead ash tree at the end of the driveway on the north side that we share with a neighbor (as well as the neighbor's tree that got knocked over by the wind, hitting their home) managed to drop a branch on the fiber optic cable from the street that provides our Verizon FiOS service...and cracking the fiber at the strain relief, which is pretty hard to do. Imagine three days with no Internet, no phone and no wireless phone service because the microcell couldn't get to the Internet...with four family members who pretty much are online if they are awake, me included. Oh, my...it was painful.
    LOL, first world problems for sure Jim.

Sounds like you had a productive weekend regardless.

Do the bees come back when the hive is destroyed?

Regards, Rod.

Shaper moving into the back yard.jpgBob and shaper on the ramp.JPGHi, I didn't do anything wood work related last weekend however this week I helped my friend Frank move his new shaper from the driveway, through his backyard and up the steps into his shop.

Regards, Rod.

Oh no! Did you salvage the colony or was it too late? If not, and that one is a starter without harvestable honey I guess the consolation prize is the other hives can salvage what there is. What a disappointment. I wish I could send you one of the two hives I started from swarms this year - they are both going strong. (I have six colonies now, almost too many)

I lost my internet for a few days last week when a cable modem went flaky on a weekend. It was frustrating but kind of peaceful. I also have a personal broadband Verizon cell "tower" (a Femtocell) but it's worthless without broadband!!

Odd coincidence perhaps, but every time I've blown a hydraulic line it's been on the backhoe. Is there a reason for that, higher stress or something? The Napa auto parts store builds hoses here.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Odd coincidence perhaps, but every time I've blown a hydraulic line it's been on the backhoe. Is there a reason for that, higher stress or something? The Napa auto parts store builds hoses here.

JKJ
    John, sounds like lack of preventive maintenance.

Do you change the hoses out in compliance with the manufacturer's schedule?

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    L
    Do the bees come back when the hive is destroyed?
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Oh no! Did you salvage the colony or was it too late? If not, and that one is a starter without harvestable honey I guess the consolation prize is the other hives can salvage what there is. What a disappointment. I wish I could send you one of the two hives I started from swarms this year - they are both going strong. (I have six colonies now, almost too many)
    The Professor salvaged a few bees from that colony, but many of them died from getting suddenly crushed or from the driving rain. These bees will get combined into one or more of our 5 other colonies, so no worries. And some replacement parts arrived today from Mann Lake...primarily frames, as we already had boxes in reserve.

The hose that completely blew out was one of the originals from 2002 when the machine was built and was the feed from the tractor to the 'hoe. What a mess since it dumped a lot of fluid before I got things shut down! The second hose I replaced was also dated 2002 and was replaced because of a pin-hole leak. Unfortunately, I missed a third with a pin-hole and will have to do that another time since the routing of that hose is difficult and requires partial disassembly of the 'hoe to get it in place. And now I've noticed one going on the FEL. LOL The machine is amazingly reliable, but hoses...well...they come and go.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...The second hose I replaced was also dated 2002 and was replaced because of a pin-hole leak. Unfortunately, I missed a third with a pin-hole and will have to do that another time since the routing of that hose is difficult and requires partial disassembly of the 'hoe to get it in place. And now I've noticed one going on the FEL. LOL The machine is amazingly reliable, but hoses...well...they come and go.
    Like when one headlight blows, perhaps just replace all of them at once and be good for another 15 years. Unless it's more fun to do one or two at a time.

JKJ