Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Track Saws

Anyone with experience with the Festool battery powered TSC55 plunge track saw? Curious about Festool's comment, "Cordless, but works as well as a corded tool, with precision and impressive traction and endurance thanks to the combination of EC-TEC motor and dual battery system"
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I bought my Festool TS55 EQ back when Festool was the only track saw - other than the EZ. Never regretted it for a second.

I am considering a project that will require 12 - 15 sheets of 3/4 plywood.

The main reason I would buy a track saw is safety.
    You will find that the track saw is the answer to many difficult issues that are simply business as usual, once you get one.

Anyhow - the one thing that impresses me the absolute most about the Festool is - - you can stop half way in a cut - take the saw off the track, walk around the work to get a better position, then complete the cut & it's impossible to tell when or where you stopped.
    That doesn't sound like such a big deal - - right up until you encounter having to do it

Oshlun makes good but affordable blades that fit the Festool and DeWalt and Makita so there's no need to push a 40T blade to do things it shouldn't.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have an additional question about track saws. I have not bought one yet. My question is about the Festool I am concurned about all the plastic I know how I am that sooner or later I will drop the saw or knock it off something (yes I can be clumsy) how well does all the plastic hold up to abuse and how expensive are the plastic parts to replace? Anyone have experience buying replacements or damaging the saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    I have an additional question about track saws. I have not bought one yet. My question is about the Festool I am concurned about all the plastic I know how I am that sooner or later I will drop the saw or knock it off something (yes I can be clumsy) how well does all the plastic hold up to abuse and how expensive are the plastic parts to replace? Anyone have experience buying replacements or damaging the saw?
    The plastic bits are probably really strong composites that will withstand shock. It's not a fragile saw. Mine's fallen off the bench onto a rubber mat, no problem there. I can't say I've dropped mine 10' onto concrete yet.

Replacement parts should be really expensive, just like the saw. I've never heard of any repairs needed by people, maybe check/search the FOG group.

I had a tradesman working on my house yesterday and he was amazed that I was cutting plywood for 3 hours and there was no sawdust anywhere.
    Mark McFarlane

Been using my (used) TS55 for years and never needed to replace a part. A most excellent tool.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

My guess is you would break or crack the aluminum shoe/sole plate? before you would hurt the plastic. That goes for any of the track saws. Thin unsupported aluminum pieces like an edge don't fare well in a drop.

7. I bought the Makita SP6000J1 and was surprised that the saw base was some kind of hard plastic instead of metal. Before actually using the saw, I wanted to see if there had been any issues with the Makita hard plastic base. Thanks