Thread: Grizzly Trim Router review

Grizzly Trim Router review

I received a new toyl and thought I’d post some observations. First off is that the plunge base had an issue. I would ‘catch’ at the top of the stroke and required quite a bit of pressure to start the plunge. Once off the top it was fine. If I applied pressure first to the left hand it wouldn’t catch. I called Grizzly, they suggested removing one snap ring, remove the casting that holds the router from the base and see if there was anything noticeably wrong. There wasn’t, one spring assembly had a catch in it but I couldn’t see a problem. They sent me a whole new router, I unpacked only the plunge base and inserted the original motor. It was fine, no problem with the plunge stroke. Grizzly had already sent me a prepaid UPS label so I packed everything up and sent it on its way. The tech I talked to said they hadn’t gotten many calls on this model.

As for the machine itself, it seems to be what I expected. The plunge base does seem to have been designed by a left handed designer. (I can hear the lefties on here saying “Yeah! ‘bout time!!)The plunge lock and power switch are on the left. The handles are mounted at an angle so the plunge base is most comfortable when held with the plunge base held one way compared to other. There is also a chip shield that works one way and not the other. This doesn’t apply to the fixed base.

griz1.JPG

The machine comes with one collet wrench and a shaft lock button. I’m not fond of the one wrench arrangement and noticed there were two flats ground into the shaft just above the collet. Calipers said the flats were 12.87 mm apart. Hmmm, it looked like a thin 13 mm wrench would fit nicely. I remembered something about a bicycle wrench that people bought for the Bosch Colt before Bosch began including two wrenches. A minute’s searching produced a cone wrench. Another minute’s searching on Ebay found what I was looking for in China for $2.99 free shipping. The posting said to expect delivery between July 25 & August 27. Previous experience said it wouldn’t take that long so I ordered it on June 25. It shipped on June 26 and I got it July 5.
    griz5.JPG

The motor seems smooth, the variable speed is linear and powerful enough for what I bought the machine for. The collet is the standard 2 piece and seems well machined. There is an attachment that is supposed to serve as a guide when mounted under the bit. The rolling doodad is pretty sloppy and not a bearing. If I were to use it much I’d probably modify it to be more snug. The edge guide works I guess but is not as well designed as the Porter Cable edge guide for example. I’m not sure how often this class machine would use an edge guide so it may not be a big deal.

I was able to buy this on a Father’s Day promotion for $59.99 + 12.99 shippping. I had a Bosch Colt that I sold for $57 so it cost me about $20 to get a plunge base and probably a better adjusting mechanism on the fixed base. The Fixed base uses a rack and pinion mechanism which is probably not as good for fine adjustments as the Bosch Colt – if the Bosch fine height adjustment mechanism worked better. The rack on the Griz router is machined into the motor housing and seems to work as expected. If the Bosch plunge base weren’t $77+ I may have gotten the Bosch plunge base and not sold the Bosch Colt. As it is I saved about $50 and don’t think the Grizzly router is a downgrade from the Bosch Colt.

The pics aren't in the order I wanted but I hope you'll get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Happy Father's Day. Thanks for the review. Plenty of good info.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Good review Curt.
    I bought the same trim router a few months ago and can only confirm your findings.
    I have a complaint (if you can even call it that) about the power cord though, it could be softer and longer like it is on my old Colt but that can easily be fixed.
    I am also very happy with mine.
    Last edited by John Lankers; 07-06-2017 at 10:32 AM.

I bought the same package for the same price some time last year. No problems at all. My only complaint is the fixed base base is black; clear plastic would have been a better choice. I have used bith the bearing follower and edge guide and have had no issues with either. The motor is a bit anemic compared to my Ridgid palm router, but it is sufficient for most things I ask of it. The plunge base is very nice IMO.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I bought the same package for the same price some time last year. No problems at all. My only complaint is the fixed base base is black; clear plastic would have been a better choice. I have used bith the bearing follower and edge guide and have had no issues with either. The motor is a bit anemic compared to my Ridgid palm router, but it is sufficient for most things I ask of it. The plunge base is very nice IMO.

John
    The base color is easily fixed. I make clear bases that fit P-C bushings for my routers. Use the existing base & a vix bit to mark mounting holes. I counter bore and make the thru holes a little oversized so there's a little adjustment to center the bit in the bushing. Mount the clear blank on the router and put a bit with a sharp point in the machine. Make just a small centering mark, unmount the clear plate and drill a 1/8" thru hole. Two forstner bits are required, 1 3/16" and 1 3/8". 1 3/8" creates the shoulder for P-C bushings, 1 3/16" for the thru hole. Of course if you don't care about fitting P-C bushings it's even easier. I cut the plastic a little over sized on the band saw then mount the plate and use a flush trim bit in the router table to fit the plate to the base.

An update to this review. This little router is pretty weak at low RPMs. It's fine at or near full speed but I'm routing some plastic with a spiral bit and wanted to run RPMs figuring that would be less likely to damage the plastic. It works but it sort of acts like there's no feedback circuit in the variable speed unit. I haven't used other similar tools so can't compare them.

This trim router uses the same plunge base as the Makita (which I have). There is a dust shroud accessory available (by Makita) on Amazon.

How well does it work? No idea - it arrived in the mail today. I would be surprised it it did not do the job. The dust control from the fixed base is excellent.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I got one of these for a great price a couple/few years ago. My router worked great until it stopped working. Only ever ran a 1/8" radius roundover bit in it.
    JR