Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shaper cutters

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gregory View Post
    The standard Euroblock is a 40 mm thickness head that takes 40x4 mm or 50x4 mm knives for a 5/8" (~16 mm) depth of cut. Note that is deeper than the typical rule of thumb of 3x knife thickness, which would be 12 mm, or a little under a half an inch. There are nonstandard Euro-block-ish heads out there that take taller/thicker knives such as Amana's 60 mm x 6 mm knife head that does NOT take standard 40/50 mm knives. Those have a deeper depth of cut, but at least with Amana's, the knives are all blanks that you have to have ground yourself as they offer no stock profiles for the 60 mm x 6 mm knives like they do for the Euroblock 40 mm x 4 mm knives.
    Interesting. Thanks for info!

I looked at the Amana 61249 (60mm) and assume that the blanks mounted opposite of profiled blades are the limiters. How do they function?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Hedges View Post
    I looked at the Amana 61249 (60mm) and assume that the blanks mounted opposite of profiled blades are the limiters. How do they function?
    this HSE document will explains what is going on with limiter tooling for Both Man and Mec. Not sure if the Amana is restricted through regulation here in NA

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis37.pdf
    jack
    English machines

Good read. Seems the primary function of chip limiter is safety. Does it achieve this by limiting the depth of cut per pass to the offset between cutter and limiter?

the tooling is less likely to draw you and the work in . And just like the old days when square head cutter blocks with bolt on knifes had the tendency to pull the work in so did they when body parts came in contact. injury was severe so the first round block were called safety blocks as they filled in the gap the square block could grab wood or you . limiter tools take this to a higher level of safety. injury when contact is made is not as bad and this is well documented . cut quality is better because you can not over feed and kick back is greatly reduced . it was fairly easy with round blocks but mounding heads were not in line with this for many years because there was no real way to limit projection from the cutter block. solid body cutter do a good job and have been around a long time but corrugated, french heads, and collars need lots of care to run safely . these have been OUTLAWED In many country in the EU. I would not start to learn the shaper/spindle moulder with non limiter tolling

29.jpg30.jpg
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 07-19-2017 at 7:34 PM.
    jack
    English machines

In appreciation of Jacks post I will state that I have been doing this a long, long time and I do not feed by hand with any head that is not self limiting. Its either the power feed or a fixture to hold the part securely.

I have one finger that looks like the middle picture. Its not as bad as everyone makes it sound, but I certainly don't want to do it again!

Good advice Jack, in my seminar I only recommend MAN rated tooling regardless of operator experience..........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    In appreciation of Jacks post I will state that I have been doing this a long, long time and I do not feed by hand with any head that is not self limiting. Its either the power feed or a fixture to hold the part securely.

I have one finger that looks like the middle picture. Its not as bad as everyone makes it sound, but I certainly don't want to do it again!
    I'll second that. It is extremely rare that anything gets hand fed on a shaper in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post

I must say I do hand feed larry some times but i am comfortable with it . dado stacks is one when i am doing light rabbits for very short runs . Warren gave me $hit about this one

Jeff i like the pin knifes and there not costly from the UK.
    jack
    English machines

I see hand feed as still neccesary at times, but will only do it where there is a good spring hold down.

Non-limited cutters are legal and common in the US. Most of the Euroblocks in the US such as Amana's and CMT'S 40 mm units do not have limiters. Oddly enough many of the "nonstandard" size units do have limiters.

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    I must say I do hand feed larry some times but i am comfortable with it . dado stacks is one when i am doing light rabbits for very short runs . Warren gave me $hit about this one
    That one does not look bad Jack, I would do that. I was more talking like a corrugated head with a profile with a big knife projection.

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post

Jeff i like the pin knifes and there not costly from the UK.
    Jack, wasn't Warren complaining about a video where you were hand feeding it??

I also use the stacked dado in my shaper as I have a 30mm spindle, same as the saw.

I also use saw blades in it...................Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 07-20-2017 at 8:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Jack, wasn't Warren complaining about a video where you were hand feeding it??

I also use the stacked dado in my shaper as I have a 30mm spindle, same as the saw.

I also use saw blades in it...................Rod.
    Warren was right I could've had a simple feather board for that belection moulding and honestly I did try to set them up one but they were fouling the moulding and was unable to make a quick pressure shoe. Always trying to develop better ways . The fenced I made was brilliant and is basically a breakthrough fence so the work cannnot draw in . Still a good example of bad practice . I would've scolded Adam if I caught him doing it
    jack
    English machines

Good to hear from you Jack, I couldn't make it to Rustfest as my youngest has been in the hospital since June 5, and was having a second emergency surgery that Friday at midnight.

I have mailed your chisels to you, hope to see you next year.............Rod.