Thread: Funnel Cloud Forms Over My House!

Funnel Cloud Forms Over My House!

I got back home just as the rain was beginning. It looked like we were going to be getting a good storm. When I looked up at the clouds I saw this rotation I had never seen. I watched it for a minute or so then ran in and grabbed my camera.

What I didn't know was this same funnel cloud was creating a water spout over the water about 1/2 mile away.

And here I thought the only thing happening was the rotating cloud over my head. Nature can be pretty amazing.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Cool pics!! And you are correct, you can't see the entire "funnel" until it picks up debris etc at ground level.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I got back home just as the rain was beginning. It looked like we were going to be getting a good storm. When I looked up at the clouds I saw this rotation I had never seen. I watched it for a minute or so then ran in and grabbed my camera.
    And here I thought the only thing happening was the rotating cloud over my head. Nature can be pretty amazing.
    Incredible, I'd LOVE to have seen that. I'd probably head for a bunker though!

JKJ

While I was filming the video I was thinking we were fine because I thought the funnel was still forming and not anywhere near the ground. My girlfriend was freaking out but I was just fascinated, never having any idea what was happening at the other end.

Very impressive! I would have been captivated by the sight as well! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blog Entries
    So cool. I lived through many tornados when I lived in the midwest. It is a fastenating and sometimes terrifying event. Thanks for sharing.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

That is fascinating, Julie. Thanks for posting it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, but I think I will stay with earthquakes. There doesn't seem to be much activity here as compared to my old neighborhood in the San Francisco area. (He says while living about 50 miles from Mount St. Helens.)

Though occasionally there is a small tornado here in the Pacific Northwest.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That is pretty neat. I've never seen anything like that here in Louisiana.

Looks scary af.

Thanks, guys. While I wasn't at all afraid while filming, I probably should have been.

I was keeping an eye on the formation and as it grew I was trying to decide what I would do if it kept growing. But I should have realized we can't see wind until it picks something up into it. I was at work one day when I heard a commotion out back and there I saw a very small tornado less than a mile away. I could see debris swirling around but you could still see right through it because it hadn't yet picked up any dust or dirt.

While filming this one, I failed to remember wind is invisible. Thus my "bravery" was the result of not thinking. My new motto: "Even if it's clear you still need to fear."

there was a weak tornado here a couple of years ago -- F1? Someone took a video of it, it was at ground level. It looked terrifying, it was huge. We occasionally get one that does damage up on a mountain.

I was in a house in central Nebraska that was hit by a tornado. We were all running for the basement when it hit. There was a big woosh and then the top half of the house was gone. It happened so fast.

Luckily, the people's house was well insured.

Years ago my wife and I went for a walk and we were in a valley when we heard this roaring sound and looked up and there was a funnel cloud that went right overhead. It touched down about half a mile from where we were.