Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite water based spray finish?

Your favorite water based spray finish?

I am switching to spray finishing. Because it will be in a spray booth in my shop, my reading suggests a nonflammable water based lacquer is the safest way to go. Looking through old posts, it looks like it has been a while since anyone directly posted a question about which water based spray finishes they favor along with any suggestions on their use to address specific finishes' quirks.

My question then is what is your go-to water based spray lacquer? I am building things like side tables, nightstands, music stands, dressers etc.
    Thanks

General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly. Hands down. Incredibly easy to spray, flows out beautifully, and dries to a smooth, water clear finish that is hard and durable.

John

Haven't tried the Enduro Clear Poly but Enduro Var is great for spraying if you want an Amber tint. Also, GF High Performance is an excellent clear finish - not as resistant to chemicals as Enduro Poly.

I've only used Target Coatings EM6000 and EM 2000 to-date, but plan on trying the SW Kem Aqua at some point based on favorable comments I've read here.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have used a couple gallons of enduro clear poly and find it as John says. It is very forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Haven't tried the Enduro Clear Poly but Enduro Var is great for spraying if you want an Amber tint. Also, GF High Performance is an excellent clear finish - not as resistant to chemicals as Enduro Poly.
    Enduro Var is nice but only on fresh surface. I do a lot of refinishing so I wind up using High Performance Poly since it can go over just about anything (especially with a layer of sanding sealer). I don't know for sure about Enduro Poly but Enduro Var is not campatible with many finishes.
    Gary

You can put EnduroVar over Sealcoat shellac w/o problems. GF used to say it was OK, then changed their story a few years ago. I've been using it for 5+ years w/o problems and it almost always goes over Sealcoat.

HP Poly is a nice product as long as you don't need chemical durability.

John

Like Andy mentioned, the Enduro Var is very easy (and forgiving) to spray, comes in a variety of sheen and has the amber tint that some find desirable. It is a cross-linked urethane and very durable. GF also has a waterborne Conversion Varnish. These products are only available from the distributor in my area. Haven't tried the Enduro Clear Poly mentioned by Prashun and John but their endorsement would make it an excellent choice as well.

I would add that I have never had a general adhesion failure with the Enduro var which is a noted feature of some high VOC Conversion Varnishes (too thick application).
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

So I thought I should update my endorsement based on something that happened yesterday (captured in a different thread in this forum). I have lately been using Enduro Var for most of my clear finishes and though I rarely refinish, I had not had a compatibility issue. And this included spraying over some well-prepped UV cured clear coats. Yesterday I found a substrate that the Enduro Var would not adhere to. Not really a big issue in that particular instance, but it could have been. I'm going to try John's suggested approach to "fix" and will experiment with the Enduro clear poly where appropriate. I still think Enduro Var is a great product for new projects.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Thanks so much for the above. For the General Finishes water based products, for ventilation do you still need an explosion proof fan or will an ordinary fan covered by a filter be OK?
    Thanks again

Have any of you used Endurovar FLAT sheen? I am intrigued by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Kalker View Post
    Thanks so much for the above. For the General Finishes water based products, for ventilation do you still need an explosion proof fan or will an ordinary fan covered by a filter be OK?
    Thanks again
    Fan with filter works, Alan. You just need to move the air to stop the overspray settling back on your work

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Have any of you used Endurovar FLAT sheen? I am intrigued by this.

No, but I've used several gallons of Clear Poly in flat sheen. I like it a lot. But beware that it mutes the grain. That can be a benefit or completely undesirable, depending upon what you are after. This is probably the best photo I have that shows the sheen.

And here's one of what it looks like over paint.

John

Thanks John. I appreciate the photos.

Again, much thanks to all