Thread: Shop Plan

Shop Plan

Hey everyone. Thanks to those of you who've been entertaining all my DC questions the last couple days. The conversation made me realize that I really needed to come up with a better than loose shop plan. The reason for this is that I have to figure out where to locate the DC I just bought and how I'm going to route the ducts. I thought I had it figured out but just now went outside and saw that my overhead door would interfere with my original duct run.

Sunday, I'm adding another 220 circuit just for the DC as well as a couple more outlets for the other machines.

Not all of these machines exist yet and this plan partially reflects future layout. I do not yet have the miter station (though that is my next project), the jointer, the spindle sander, the combo sander or the hand tool cabinets over the miter station. I can move anything around easily at this point, including outlets.

What comments would you offer about my proposed layout as seen in these drawings in terms of efficiency, dust collection and power?

Dimensions and other info:
    The building is roughly 30'x24' (inside dimension slightly less).
    Tried to locate milling operations together with enough room between the lumber rack and the machines to move rough stock about as needed. Fine work would occur either on the joiners bench or the outfeed/assembly table. Over where the drill press is, I thought to try to do most of my sanding of small parts. Spindle sander would be here and probably sooner, a combo disk, belt sander on the bench beside the drill press. Opposite side from the 'dirty' area, I thought to have a 'clean' area beside the sharpening station. Finishing of small pieces etc on a yet to be built fixture. Part of me wonders if this is worth while since I'll probably end up covering my bench with plastic and doing a lot of my finishing on there instead.

Okay, enough words.
    Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 4.07.16 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-07-07 at 4.07.36 PM.jpg

That's going to be a very nice shop. One thing you might want to consider is putting the jointer and planer together so they can share power and a DC drop...they are essentially used together anyway and that will increase your assembly space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ah ha! You mean back to back so that feeding wouldn't be hampered by the other machine? For now the planer runs on 110 and the jointer is theoretical but I have 110 in my ceiling and could easily add 220 right beside it if I needed to.

Thanks for for that overs Atkin. Just bought back some more floor space!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's going to be a very nice shop. One thing you might want to consider is putting the jointer and planer together so they can share power and a DC drop...they are essentially used together anyway and that will increase your assembly space.