Thread: Woodriver Benchtop Spindle Sander

Woodriver Benchtop Spindle Sander

Woodcraft has the Woodriver Benchtop spindle sander on sale this month. I have been thinking of picking one up.
    Any experience/opinions on the sander?

John

Looks like the same as all the other clones including Harbor Freight. I'd spend the extra couple bucks and get the Ridgid. Many happy users.

Or get a heavy duty vintage one like a boice crane, state, etc.

Ridgid here. Best of the low cost units.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I picked up a Ryobi OSS550 in an opened box at an estate sale for $20. Didn't really need it at the time, nor do I usually buy anything Asian made, but couldn't pass it up at that price. It's virtually the same as the SS on sale at Woodcraft. Decent power, small fixed cast-iron table and good dust collection with a shop vac. Don't use it very often, but fills a need without taking up much space. That said, I wouldn't buy it at Woodcraft's "sale" price.

Steve

Blog Entries
    My Ridgid sander will do belts or spindles. I suggest you look at it.

I have the $200 one.

I know nothing about them but you can get a like unit from Home Depot cheaper.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-3-5-A...7hUaAvMc8P8HAQ
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Ridgid here. Best of the low cost units.
    Bill
    I too have the Rigid and agree best unit for the hobby woodworker.

I bought one of those cheap sanders on sale for 69.00 to use on one job. If it finished the job I would be happy. Used it hard for about a week. It earned a permanent place in my shop. After a few years it stopped oscillating. Took it apart and the belts had failed. Belts had numbers on them and I got new belts on ebay for about 15 bucks. Running just fine years later. One thing I like about it is the cast iron table that allows use of magnets - use it as a thickness sander for small strips. Dust collection with shop vac is good. Got my moneys worth.