Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bosch 1617EVSK Switch Issue

Bosch 1617EVSK Switch Issue

I was doing some routing today with my Bosch 1617 router. Put it aside and set up the next piece to be routed, grabbed the Bosch and turned the switch on. Nothing. The router was dead. So I did some troubleshooting and discovered that the switch was not switching on.

I removed the switch, blew it out with air pressure and shot some silicon spray into it. Reinstalled it and it worked - but I ordered a new one.

I wonder if the switch is a weak point in the Bosch router. This is the first router switch I've had fail.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

How old is it? 10 years ago they would send you a new switch if you asked because so many failed.

I have an older one that gives me similar trouble; intermittent and difficult to pinpoint the problem. It may be the switch, but as I recall mine would not start with proper voltage through the switch. Which seems to leave the variable speed control module.

Blowing out the switch does seem to help. Mine works most of the time, unless I get it all set up in the router table with a perfectly aligned bit or get 15 miles from my shop with only one router on the truck.

I'm claiming gremlins. Let us know if the new switch solves it. I don't recall if I replaced mine.

Yes, the switch is a known and common problem with the 1617. I've had it it happen to one of my 1617's so far.

It is a known problem. I replaced one several years ago and no problems to date with the replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    How old is it? 10 years ago they would send you a new switch if you asked because so many failed.
    I'd have to try to look when I bought the router but, yeah, 10 years old is not unreasonable.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I had the same experience with mine, blew the dust out and bought a replacement switch about 2 years ago. I recall when I described the problem to a Bosch tool repair guy he immediately said it was the switch. I hope I can remember where I put the new switch if the old switch dies but so far after 2 years no problem. Most of the time mine's in a router table so the switch is left on and the router is turned off and on by the switch on the table.

I've had exactly the same problem with my 1617 as well. I found that placing some clear tape over the switch prevented dust getting in while not affecting by the operation of the switch. I bought a spare switch in case but have not had to use it so far.

Noel

Maybe we should get tee shirts made " I have a spare switch for my 1617 and I'm not ashamed to admit it".

I have a DeWalt router that does that -- stop working every once in a while. It is definitely the switch. Probably it gets a bit of sawdust in it. When it fails, I just switch it on and off a bunch of times. Generally after ten or twenty cycles, it suddenly starts working again, and it works correctly for the next six months or so, when we go through the same dance again.

I have the same router, purchased about 10 years ago, and have had the switch clog up a couple times. I have since dedicated it to the router table that has a remote switch so that the router switch is always on and a non-issue.
    - Mike

I received the new switch, installed it and kept the old switch as backup. Hopefully, the new switch will not clog. But the original lasted for over 10 years so I can't complain.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Maybe we should get tee shirts made " I have a spare switch for my 1617 and I'm not ashamed to admit it".
    Looks like I jinxed myself, was using my Bosch 1617EVS out of the table and guess what? It worked fine for a few minutes, then I shut it off and when I went to turn it back on, nothing. Luckily I had the replacement switch and 1/2 hour later I was back in business. Anyone need a tee shirt?
    One piece of advice for anyone replacing the switch. When you first go to connect the wire that comes directly from the power cord it appears it is too short and it's very awkward to connect it to the switch. The solution is to remove the 2 screws that secure the cord to the router so you can make the connection to the switch outside the housing. You probably would have figured that out immediately, took me a few minutes to realize that was the the obvious solution but I always hesitate to disassemble anything further than absolutely necessary for fear it won't go back together properly.

Based on all the post here, I suppose I'd advise anyone who owns a Bosch 1617 to order a new switch before yours gives you a problem.

Mike

I would guess mine in 10+ years old and I did replace the switch after around the 3rd year. The newer switches are said to be a much better one and I have not had any issue with it since.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN