Thread: Some Recent Work

Some Recent Work

Haven't been able to do much turning over the last 7 months due to some neck disk issues but after C 6/7 fusion surgery in May, am finally able to putz around a little bit without any issues. Glad I have enough blanks ready for the 2nd turn since I'll wait a little bit longer before I get the chainsaw out for any heavy duty prep work. 6.6" x 2.5" walnut bowl, 10" x 5" twice turned cherry bowl, 11" x 3" deep red cherry bowl from some really old 16/4 boards I bought a few years ago, 11" cherry vase and a sycamore ne bowl.
    6.5 x 2.5 Walnut.jpg10 x 5 Cherry.jpg11 x 3 Cherry.jpgCherry Vase.jpgSycamore NE.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Glad to hear you are able to get in some shop time! Judging from the photos - you haven't lost anything during your down time! Nice work on everything - but to me - the cherry bowls really stand out! Looking forward to seeing more of your work! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice job on the Walnut bowl. I just finished a set of 6 Walnut bowls for a customer that look pretty much identical to yours. Walnut always gives me fits when sanding as I have a heck of a time with the sanding marks showing. The finish on yours is beautiful, what's your secret?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Nice job on the Walnut bowl. I just finished a set of 6 Walnut bowls for a customer that look pretty much identical to yours. Walnut always gives me fits when sanding as I have a heck of a time with the sanding marks showing. The finish on yours is beautiful, what's your secret?
    Thanks Pat. Nothing really special about the finish. This one has Watco clear and Beall buff without the white diamond. Lighter touch with the sanding has improved my results a lot because I'm a little heavy handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Glad to hear you are able to get in some shop time! Judging from the photos - you haven't lost anything during your down time! Nice work on everything - but to me - the cherry bowls really stand out! Looking forward to seeing more of your work! Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you Steve. I like the color variation of the two cherries, one being 1 year or so old and the other being at least 40 years old. But my favorite out of this bunch is the pith-in vase. I get a kick out of finishing this style piece without the pith cracking.

Some fine looking bowls and nice looking vase as well.
    Glad your able to be back in the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Haven't been able to do much turning over the last 7 months due to some neck disk issues but after C 6/7 fusion surgery in May, am finally able to putz around a little bit without any issues. Glad I have enough blanks ready for the 2nd turn since I'll wait a little bit longer before I get the chainsaw out for any heavy duty prep work. 6.6" x 2.5" walnut bowl, 10" x 5" twice turned cherry bowl, 11" x 3" deep red cherry bowl from some really old 16/4 boards I bought a few years ago, 11" cherry vase and a sycamore ne bowl.
    Very nice! And your finishes are exquisite. I especially like the soft sheen on the walnut bowl.

I always want to know when I see exceptional finishes - what methods to you prefer?

JKJ

Good to see you back, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Some fine looking bowls and nice looking vase as well.
    Glad your able to be back in the shop!
    Thanks Daryl, appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I always want to know when I see exceptional finishes - what methods to you prefer?
    JKJ
    John,

95% of the time I just use Mahoney's Walnut Oil and wait a few weeks and Beall Buff. However, the walnut bowl that I posted was done with Watco clear and buffed after 2 weeks. Nothing fancy, just basic stuff. If I wasn't in a basement shop, I'd probably use different spray finishes on some pieces but my better half wouldn't put up with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Morrill View Post
    Good to see you back, Dave.
    Hey Terry you ol geezer, good to hear from you! You need to come over sometime to the hood and teach me some of your tricks! Got some pretty big chunks of cherry burl that need some attention.

Looks like you haven't forgot any skills. Beautiful shape and form. Thin and well centered.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Looks like you haven't forgot any skills. Beautiful shape and form. Thin and well centered.
    Thanks for the kind words Bob. I'm finding my turning skills are about the same as my golf skills. Birdie the first hole, triple bogie the second, par the third and then spend the rest of the day splattering my face with sand. You'll understand after I post today's adventure tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    95% of the time I just use Mahoney's Walnut Oil and wait a few weeks and Beall Buff. However, the walnut bowl that I posted was done with Watco clear and buffed after 2 weeks. Nothing fancy, just basic stuff. If I wasn't in a basement shop, I'd probably use different spray finishes on some pieces but my better half wouldn't put up with that.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I use those methods too on many woods too. Seems I keep moving further away from mirror gloss.

I no longer use oil on cocobolo - I did that once and it quickly turned it as black as ebony. Nothing wrong with black but the wood started out with beautiful orange, red, and brown!

JKJ