Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys use to manage your websites?

What do you guys use to manage your websites?

For my laser cutting business we've been using Squarespace with great results. However, the ecommerce side of it is pretty weak. I've been looking into Shopify. Curious if any of you guys are using it and if so, what your thoughts are.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Scott Shepherd; 07-08-2017 at 12:18 PM. Reason: removed link to business website
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

I use OpenCart.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I recently opened a Wix Premium site... not the free one, but one that actually accepts payments, manages stock, inventory, handles shipping calculations, tax etc. allows me to either use their financial institutions or add my own. It allows easy customization of the item... I.e. color, size, text fields for engraving etc. and notifies me immediately if anyone is on my site, for live online assistance... turned that off in a hurry.... got a notification every 5 minutes...

Took a while to set everything up... had to figure out SKU's for everything... but once I got it all in and done... it was smooth like glass!

I second OpenCart. It has it's share of flaws, but it's pretty darn good for a free shopping cart. It helps if you know HTML and PHP so you can modify code to suit your needs.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Try Shopify for free and see if you like it - We have three sites with them that generate 3000 + orders per month. We choose Shopify because they offered integration with Amazon, eBay, Etsy. They have a ton of good apps to help build custom features that would have cost us aton to setup our selves.
    Last edited by Robert Bonenfant; 07-08-2017 at 7:57 PM.
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC

Glad it's you guys have to worry about these interweb things

A guy back east has been selling some car stuff I make for 17 years, and he's always got some problem going on with shopping cart issues, deadbeat chargebacks, whiny people who don't understand the difference between 'made to order' and an Amazon warehouse, and just plain "the public". I don't envy him or any of you guys one bit. The internet has helped some people find me (which isn't always a good thing), but I've never needed a website to sell anything (which is a GREAT thing!)...

I have great respect for anyone selling to the public at large, you're braver than me!

--just wanted to throw that out there, since I have no help to offer!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I use Opencart. I looked at all the various open source commerce software options out there and found it to be the easiest and best looking of the lot. I have added a theme which I have done a few subtle changes and have a three or four extensions which have helped get it working as I want. It isn't perfect, but to the customer it comes across as quite professional looking. im still learning though.

When I was setting up my site, as it's just a micro business, I wanted to keep costs right down. I looked at the various paid options, but felt they wanted too much of my money. I'm paying around £30.00 a year for my domain and hosting. I take PayPal and to cut costs down more customers can now pay by Bank Transfer, which while my Bank offers me free banking means no fees.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

I use Vend for my point of sale (cash registers, inventory, etc.) and they offer ecommerce as well. I don't personally use the ecommerce feature because I don't sell online, but if I did it would make my life much easier. It automatically syncs things sold in the shop and things sold on the web (e.g. the last item sells in the shop, it doesn't allow that item to be purchased on your web site until you add more to inventory), keeps one customer database instead of two, one product database instead of two, one company to deal with, etc... It also integrates well with many card processors and with quickbooks, which I use for my accounting.

I think Square probably does the same thing and I'm sure there are several others. May be a little pricey if you don't need POS services (i.e. don't have a physical presence).

No relation to Vend other than using their service for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bonenfant View Post
    Try Shopify for free and see if you like it - We have three sites with them that generate 3000 + orders per month. We choose Shopify because they offered integration with Amazon, eBay, Etsy. They have a ton of good apps to help build custom features that would have cost us aton to setup our selves.
    3000 orders a month?! How are you advertising? Facebook, Instagram, newspapers, etc.?
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    ...How are you advertising?...
    This industry doesn't work that way. They just need to find you on the web when/if they need your services. Advertising is a waste of $.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I stopped "advertising" about 18 years ago. Have never spent a dime since. I am home based and don't want retail customers.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

My favorite is when people cold call and tell me that they see my site isn't doing well in Google Search Results. I listen to them tell me how poorly we are listing and how they can help me. Then I asked them what they searched for that showed us listing so poorly and it goes quiet. I explain that we're number 1 in everything we want to be number 1 in, and the call usually ends abruptly.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Web page placing.. including Google can be done without spending a dime. I'm at or near the top - depend on your search for my area. I have a lousy web page and my web store isn't much better. My wife has been on me for nearly 10 years to build a better web page. Fancy is nice, but it isn't likely to make or break a serious sale. I'm so busy just off referrals & my Web page that I routinely turn away customers every day. I should note that unlike Robert, I don't sell much in the way of products. That's not my business model. Instead of products I chose to be a Service company. On other words, I have nearly zero inventory. I just laser and/or cut other peoples products, mostly industrial.

Oh.. back to Web placement... This IS highly important, just not worth it (to me) to pay for it. My secret for easy placement high on search lists...... wouldn't be a secret if I told.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    Web page placing.. including Google can be done without spending a dime.
    You don't even need a web page, all you need is a phone number. I've been trying to get Google & Yelp to remove me altogether, but yeah, right. I DO have a 'webpage', but between about 2012 and 2015 my page said nothing but 'out of order, check back later'. Because I thought it would help keep the phone calls and questions to a minimum, now my page is just an explanation of what I do and what I don't do. Doesn't help a bit, nobody reads it. It's obvious most people just call the first few numbers that come up in a search and don't even check the web page.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    This IS highly important, just not worth it (to me) to pay for it. My secret for easy placement high on search lists...... wouldn't be a secret if I told.
    I'm surprised at how many people think that someone in the same industry and market is going to tell the world how they got their customers and what they are doing. If you told 10 competitors how you got to #1 on the search engines, then you could be #10 and they'd be 1-9. I'm all about helping people, but I'm not too keen on helping people take my customers away from me for free.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.