Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you guys use to manage your websites?

There are two guaranteed secrets for success.
    1. Never tell all you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I'm surprised at how many people think that someone in the same industry and market is going to tell the world how they got their customers and what they are doing. If you told 10 competitors how you got to #1 on the search engines, then you could be #10 and they'd be 1-9. I'm all about helping people, but I'm not too keen on helping people take my customers away from me for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bateson View Post
    This industry doesn't work that way. They just need to find you on the web when/if they need your services. Advertising is a waste of $.
    That is a Golden Quote.... And for me 100% correct.... Tracked all the pay stuff I did a few years ago and got ZERO orders for my money, about $6k in all. Thought it would work... The people that use my stuff were the target... I ask every customer how they find me?.... 9 times out of 10.... Just did a search and you showed up a few times in the first few pages with lots of images...

And I use a very CHEAP Site... Former Yahoo Small Business for $119.00 per year. Bought out by someone last year. It's easy and works for me...

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I'm surprised at how many people think that someone in the same industry and market is going to tell the world how they got their customers and what they are doing. If you told 10 competitors how you got to #1 on the search engines, then you could be #10 and they'd be 1-9. I'm all about helping people, but I'm not too keen on helping people take my customers away from me for free.

Hopefully this wasn't referring to me. I only asked about platforms, not keywords, search strings, SEO strategies, or anything specific.

So Scott, what's the secret squirrel sauce for ranking higher than everyone here? yes-man.gif
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

google yourself about 10000 times a day and eventually you'll get to the top of the list
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob John View Post
    Hopefully this wasn't referring to me. I only asked about platforms, not keywords, search strings, SEO strategies, or anything specific.

So Scott, what's the secret squirrel sauce for ranking higher than everyone here?
    Not directed at anyone in particular, just a general comment referencing people that have asked me for help with their SEO over the years. No thanks When LinkedIn hit the market I joined it and started building out my network. It had the potential to be fantastic for connecting to people I was having a tougher time getting to at the time. Just find someone I know that knows the person that I want to meet and then I'd be golden. It worked and helped me meet some good contacts. I built my network of people that were my customers and business related contacts. My network was essentially, some of my good customers. Then my competitors, who we also did wholesale work for, started asking to join my network. What? Wait a minute.....if I connect to you, then you can now see who my customers are and target them directly without me knowing. Essentially, by connecting to my competitors, I was handing them my customer list. Well, that's pretty dumb from a business standpoint. You wouldn't write down your best customers and hand that list to your competitors, so why would you do that electronically. At that point, I stopped using LinkedIn. I'll look at it from time to time, but I never link to customers these days.

Searching for your own name in Google isn't going to help anything. That's not how it works
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

...That's not how it works

"That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works....." Great commercial line. lol I agree Steve, I could share one secret that made a huge difference for me, but may not necessarily work for someone else. This business is funny & different from region to region. What works here may not work there & vice versa..... THAT's how this really works.... or does it?
    Did I mention that I've worked in IT for 35 years... Pre-internet.. well pre-internet as we know it today. I was surfing & abusing the web long before browsers were invented.
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 07-11-2017 at 8:51 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

My (dad's) business all started from his Litton work buddies. Litton was their 'McDonalds', a place to start before moving on. As they did, his buddies new jobs involved needing something engraved; desk signs, name badges, a watch or two, ID plates- and they'd call dad. Many moved on again, leaving their replacements behind with our number, and going to a new place that needed engraving...and so on and so on, etc. etc... and that progression has never stopped, and because of that we have never had to search out a job. When LinkedIn started, I was flooded with emails, none of which I've ever answered.

If I actually had to search out work, I'd likely starve to death!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Keep in mind Kev, you took over a business that had grown over decades. Most of us are having to start from scratch, or close to it, so we couldn't sit back and wait for repeat customers to call.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I use Hostmonster with Joomla. Be warned, if you have no IT background, be prepared for a severe learning curve.
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

Wix, Square, Big Cartel, and Shopify are popular options. Easy and most of the under-the-hood stuff is done for you. They're also pretty customizable, if you're savvy, especially Shopify.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    google yourself about 10000 times a day and eventually you'll get to the top of the list
    Ok I did that, but 20,000 times. I broke 3 keyboards in the process. Now what?
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

12. Our company has several e-commerce sites done in Zen-Cart. It's open source and has an active community tweaking it. You can also do a lot tweaking (damage) yourself since you will have access to all the files that make up the CMS.
    APLazer SN 2816
    I use Corel and Adobe for image editing.
    PhotoGrav 3.1 and Lasercut 5.3 came with the machine.