Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planing Short Boards

Blog Entries
    The method of gluing longer 'carrier' boards on to your short material is a valid solution for short boards. This is an exaggeration but, you get the idea.

plane small stock.JPG
    The carrier boards are milled true in height and then glued to the passenger material. They should be as tall as the tallest portion of the passenger board to allow the feed rollers to control the work. Once the passenger material is milled true, the carrier boards are ripped off at the tablesaw.

The boards you are talking about are long enough to be jointed and planed on my machines. It seems your snipe problem is what is driving this discussion. The amount of snipe you describe is a good reason for tuning up your machine. I prefer none and align my planer for that. If you have one of the lunchbox planers that is renowned for unavoidable snipe, another member once posted something like this as his solution as opposed to creating a burn pile made out of lots of wasted cutoff ends.

Snipe cure long stock.JPG

Instead you end up with a burn pile made out of lots of wasted carrier material. A tedious solution to be sure but, we either spend time or money in the shop. One way or the other, ya gotta pay .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-09-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    16" is plenty long enough to go over the jointer and through the planer.
    This. Just run them through.

My old 13" Delta thickness plane leaves no snipe.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thanks all...I think I'll try making a train on a carrier board with side boards hot glued on to limit snipe. Stand back and hold mah beer!

Nope - don't use hot glue.
    Use a piece of newspaper in between the block and the carrier board & use Elmer's School Glue.

When you're all done, a sharp blade will separate the wood & a flush with water will leave everything all nice and clean and free of glue.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

This is the most complicated series of 'solutions' to a problem I have ever seen. 16" long is not planing shorts. It is a good handy length that is common as dirt for furniture making. Any chairman's has planed thousands like this. There is no need for complex jigs, gluing, screwing or anything other than machining. It does not even need a flash planer. The OP does not need to be led up the garden path like this. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    This is the most complicated series of 'solutions' to a problem I have ever seen. 16" long is not planing shorts. It is a good handy length that is common as dirt for furniture making. Any chairman's has planed thousands like this. There is no need for complex jigs, gluing, screwing or anything other than machining. It does not even need a flash planer. The OP does not need to be led up the garden path like this. Cheers
    +1. If the boards are longer than the distance between the infeed and outfeed rollers of the planer in use then you're good to go. Based on the pics the wood started life as dunnage or cribbing anyways, and they are "shelf boards for the neighbor". Snipe is the last thing I'd be worried about.

Additionally, there looks to be a pretty significant difference in thickness between the boards, they will need to be worked down to a common thickness one at a time anyways.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 07-10-2017 at 5:19 AM.

Hi, at 16" long they can be planed as is.

That said, those look like candidates for the fireplace, old, possibly with sand, grit or nails in them, I would buy the neighbor some wood and keep those for roasting marshmallows.........Rod.

OK...early results are in. I went with just 2 blocks at a time due to the weight. I shimmed and screwed them to a carrier board and then screwed 'side boards' a little higher than the thickness of the blocks. Several passes through the planer (it's a 12" Delta) and I got one flat side. Flipped them and now I don't need a carrier. Just screwed the snipe protection boards back on and again several passes. One thing learned...On this second run the planer was having a hard time dragging these slugs through the machine. I stopped and waxed both the machine platforms and the bottom of the slugs. Wow...now they went through like you-know-what through a goose! Jointed the edges then and I'm calling these two done!
    IMG_0638.jpg IMG_0639.jpg IMG_0640.jpg
    Picture shows 3 in a line but I backed off to two.

Scott

Get out a handplane and flatten one side. Doesn't have to be perfect. Let the neighbor help with this part.

Then run it through the planer. 16" is not too short as mentioned by others.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Those aren't boards they are blocks of wood.Dirty looking too,do yourself a favor bring them back to him/her and drive over to Homedepot.Buy something there.
    I agree with Andrew. I would not want to run those on any of my equipment - too likely to have sand or metal in them.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

All done...and they came out ok. Bar was set pretty low but all sides are flat and smooth now and yes I do need new planer blades now!

Thanks everybody!

Scott

The wood does have a nice smoky brown look to it.I guess new knives are a small price to pay for working well seasoned reclaimed wood.
    Good job.
    Aj