Thread: Cleaning a rusty chuck

Cleaning a rusty chuck

So, I've had a drill press in my garage for 3-4 seasons and it has some surface rust (and some Boeshield up in the chuck I suspect). I'm fine with cleaning the tube and table rust, but I have no clue as to how to clean the chuck. It's a Jet DP and the chuck I removed will be relegated to backup duty, but I'd like it to be in its best shape if called upon. It's seen less the 20 hours duty, but looks like 200.

Any ideas?

soak it in EDTA and washing soda.
    Bill

Rotary wire brush the outside. Lubricate the inside and open and close it repeatedly until it frees up. It's something to fidget with while watching TV. Or knock it apart, clean the parts, remove burrs and reassemble it. It will be better than new then. Cheers

I would suggest trying electrolysis

regards Brian

Evaporust.

I have a nice ultrasonic cleaner that the chuck would fit in...would that work? Maybe with Evaporust or similar, followed by a rust inhibitor bath?

So, I received the Jacob's wedges for removing a chuck from an arbor and there is no way they will work...there's nothing for them to press against. I could reinstall the chuck into the drill press but my gut tells me that the Morse would re-release before the Jacobs because it has already been freed up. Ideas?