Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing non-standard drill press belts

Replacing non-standard drill press belts

So, I want to replace the belts on my two DP's, one a 17" GI and the other a 15" Jet. I was pulling the chuck from each today and the belt set on both made it difficult to pull the chuck. After rotating the chuck to expose the tang, the set would rotate it again before I could insert the arbor key. The GI has an A27 and an A28 belt. The Jet has an A24 and an A29.5 belt. Really, it says A-29.5 on it.

The cost difference between an OK belt and a great belt is not enough to make me think twice. They say the AX cogged belt is a lot smoother. My thoughts were to buy a Gates or Goodyear belt and be done.

McMaster-Carr has everything in a cogged Gates (I think) belt, except the 29.5". Whats a good belt to install and do I really need to order a custom belt?

I use standard non-cogged Gates belts on my drill press, as that is what was originally specified, 3 A24s and an A45 to be exact. It seems at least as smooth as other presses I have used.

Look at the tension mechanisms on your units. See how much adjustability there is, and whether 1/4" shorter or longer (half of 1/2") will work.

You might consider link belts. You add or subtract links to make the belt longer or shorter. So you can easily configure it as any non-standard length you want.

Link belts are a possibility but I have not found them to be any more than a desperation solution when nothing else will work.
    29.5" is 750mm so try using the metric nomenclature when talking to suppliers. Go for the most flexible option. Basic A-section belts are a bit stiff for a drill press. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Link belts are a possibility but I have not found them to be any more than a desperation solution when nothing else will work.
    Hi Wayne,
    I've had link belts on mine for several years. It works fine, as far as I've noticed. I put them on to reduce vibration from belt set and they did. I also have one on my tablesaw. Am I missing a negative or downside, something important?

Thanks,
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Hi Wayne,
    I've had link belts on mine for several years. It works fine, as far as I've noticed. I put them on to reduce vibration from belt set and they did. I also have one on my tablesaw. Am I missing a negative or downside, something important?

Thanks,
    Fred
    They do not have nearly as much ability to transfer torque as a standard V-belt. You are more likely to stall a large bit or cutter with link belts than V-belts. Depending on what you do, that may or may never be an issue. If it is, a gearhead press has NO slip and that is why the metalworkers using large drills and cutters at very low speeds use gearhead presses instead of a belt driven press.

Fred, my experience is similar to Philip's. Not much torque transfer. As far as belt set is concerned, that is related to belt quality. Precision machine belts are different to standard belts and much more resistant to set.
    Link belts are really for use when it requires major mechanical work to change the belt and time isn't available. I have used them on heavy diesel engines where we couldn't afford the time to do a full strip down for a few weeks. But if they work, there is no reason not to give one a go. Cheers

Thanks guys!

Blog Entries
    No issue with link belts here. I run large Forstners, circle cutters and the usual array of other bits common in furniture making. Certainly the way you use your DP will vary your satisfaction with your belts. I have run link belts on my 1/2HP machine since it got assembled with no problems doing the things I do in a wood shop with a DP.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I ordered two cogged belts for the GI from McMaster-Carr to try out. I'll let you know who actually makes them. They don't carry any 29.5 size though, so I'll look elsewhere for the Jet belts.

Larry, which model of the Optibelt do you use (they have a lot)?

I've used link belts in the past and they were OK at best, but I'd prefer not to use them on something like a DP where I'll be taking them off and putting them on so often.

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    Larry, which model of the Optibelt do you use (they have a lot)?

It is confusing, so I just call and rely on their recommendation. They always have what I need, even in Euro machines with odd sizes and matched sets.

My DP has a Reeves drive with a matched set of three to the head so probably never have to replace.

On the chuck thing, if you run across a deal on a Jacobs Superchuck don't be afraid to try one, mine has never slipped a bit and is accurate to 0001.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 07-10-2017 at 7:38 AM.

Make sure it is an older Made in the USA Superchuck as the newer Chinese ones are reported to have more run-out. I have a USA 16N Superchuck that is great.

Blog Entries
    Your belts may possibly be metric sizes. Gates makes a XPA750 Metric-Power V-Belt, XPA Section, 13mm Width, 10mm Height, 750mm Length which would match your 29.5" belt.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You most likely have tried this already but have you called JET for a replacement belt?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale