Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacing non-standard drill press belts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    You most likely have tried this already but have you called JET for a replacement belt?
    No, because this machine has very low hours on it (less the 25?) and the belts developed such a set that it was very difficult to get the chuck out without that third arm to align the spindle.

So I got it backwards, the A27 and A28 are for the Jet, not the GI. I have those cogged belts in now and will install and report back tomorrow. BTW, McMaster-Carr carries the Gates as their in-house brand.

So, I tried to install the new belts. I thought if the old belt is an A27 and the new one is an AX27, they should be the same length belt, right? NO! Well then the old one should be longer than the new because it stretched, right? NO! Both new ones are longer than the old, to the point where they can't be tightened. The old ones had to be fought to get on the pulleys. So, I looked at the Jet parts list thinking something must be wrong. AHA! The parts list had a different belt listed than was installed. The parts list called for one of the belts to be a little longer that the one installed, right? NO! The parts list calls for an A26 and an A28, not the A27 and A28 on the machine which are a little snug, but which are much shorter than the AX27 and AX28 that I bought.

My thought is to order an AX26 and hope it pairs with one of the other two.

Can someone educate me on v-belts? Is the A designation not the cross-sectional size and the number not the diameter in inches? Is the diameter measured at the inside, outside or at some other point?

More info...I read that with an A series v-belt, you add 2" to the number after the A to get the outside circumference. So, a A27 belt should have a circumference of 29" and a A28 should have a circumference of 30". My old Jet belts are 28" and 29" or 1" short on each. My new Gates belts are 29-/12" and 30-1/2" or 1/2" long on each. Just for grins, I measured the belts on the General International DP and the A24 and A29.5 measured 25-1/4" and 30-3/4", or 3/4" short on each. Unfortunately, GI just lists a part number for the belts, not the size.

I have had great success using belts from VBelt supply. Some are imported, but still are great. And, you can't beat the service and various styles of belts.
    Account Manager Mr. Robert (Bobby) Bartell 888-335-9598 X 102 is very personal !
    VbeltSupply.Com
    I have no interest in this company, it's just nice to be able to offer a good company and product, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Edwards View Post
    I have had great success using belts from VBelt supply. Some are imported, but still are great. And, you can't beat the service and various styles of belts.
    Account Manager Mr. Robert (Bobby) Bartell 888-335-9598 X 102 is very personal !
    VbeltSupply.Com
    I have no interest in this company, it's just nice to be able to offer a good company and product, Ed
    Have you measured the belts relative to the spec? How close are they?

So, I finally got the new Gates cogged belts (McMaster-Carr) installed on the DP today. There is noticeably MORE vibration with the new belts then with the old. I put them in the same spots on the pulleys, tightened until the least amounts of noise/vibration, and they did not appear to be overtightened.

My questions are: Do new belts need a break-in period? If so, how long? Or do my new belts just suck?

I gave you the answer in post #6. Your new belts suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I gave you the answer in post #6. Your new belts suck.
    Talked to someone at Optibelt today. He recommended the HVAC v-belts instead of cogged belts. I'm waiting to hear back from the local distributor.