Thread: source for shaper "ring type guard"

source for shaper "ring type guard"

I am looking for a source for new plastic with a bearing in the center ring guards. The ones like Delta used to make. Does anyone know of a manufacturer making these ? Or is this a" get the bearing and go to the machine shop thing"? If this is the case a source for bearings would be good. Thanks ,Mike.

Here is one for ~$100.
    http://www.repairtoolparts.com/delta...FRCbfgodz3IDZg

A standard 6203 bearing has a 3/4" id

Thanks Cary. So I take it no one else makes these ?

I have never seen on other then Delta labeled. I thought about trying to make one. It would be very dangerous if it fell apart. My idea was using layers of lexan glued together but that might get cloudy with the glue between layers. A mold with epoxy might do it.

I made one out of a old Datsun idler pulley. I had to make a bushing since almost all ballbearings are metric. Cheaper to make a bushing then try to source a English bearing.
    You can buy Lexan in thicker pieces, no need to glue up.
    Bill D.
    PS: 6203 bearing is 17mm bore.

I looked in my Lee valley catalog and found 1/4 and 3/8 thick polycarbonate squares 12''x12''. There was also a circle cutting tool designed to make wheels for toys that would cut it. What i have not figured out is if this would be a good material for the guard. Also would you press fit the bearing or glue with something like gorilla glue, crazy glue etc.?

Bill what bearing size works for 3/4 ? Does anyone know a size for bearing for a 1'' spindle ?

The propose of the bearing is that if you hit it with your hand it stops spinning. A bushing won't do that.

So much for google being right bout the 6203 bearing dimensions. 3/4" is 19.04mm. I would get the next mm size up. You are going to clamp it down anyway and it being exactly concentric on the spindle is not critical.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 07-09-2017 at 5:08 PM.

A R12 bearing will have a 3/4" bore and a R16 will have a 1" bore. For your application a shielded bearing would probably be a a better choice making it either a R12Z or R16Z.

Check the rub bearing you have with your Byrd cutter I'm sure it will be a R12Z.