Thread: #45 pricing

#45 pricing

Hello friends, I recently ran across a Stanley 45 at an antique store for $50. It's in good shape, but it's missing one of the nickers, doesn't come with a blade, and it's smeared with crud. I could clean it up easy, but I don't know if I would be able to get a nicker, I'll probably make one. Do y'all think it's worth $50? If so, where would I get irons for it?
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Go to that auction site, and look up nhplaneparts....Eric will fix you right up...both with the cutters, and the knicker...with bolt.

Then you need to build a box to store it all in...

I'll bet Mr. Koepke will be along soon and, IIRC, he has a couple of them. Bet he will be able to help you!

Sounds like a similar purchase I made. I acquired more blades and kept one blade in it all the time. This worked well. Best of luck.

Soon you'll have it looking like this..
    45.jpg
    Print out some labels...
    box.jpg
    And be ready to go...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Cutshall View Post
    Hello friends, I recently ran across a Stanley 45 at an antique store for $50. It's in good shape, but it's missing one of the nickers, doesn't come with a blade, and it's smeared with crud. I could clean it up easy, but I don't know if I would be able to get a nicker, I'll probably make one. Do y'all think it's worth $50? If so, where would I get irons for it?
    Hi Brent,

$50 could be a good deal or it could be a not so good deal. If it is an early one without a blade adjuster, I would pass. Also if it is missing some of the other parts it may also be worth a sigh, but not a dollar. Some of the parts like the fence locking bolt are essential, but often missing. Without it the fence will wobble. If it is the early type with the adjustable fence and the lock bolt above the adjusting bolt, pass and leave it for a collector who isn't looking for a user.

Is there any chance you can get pictures to evaluate?

Look here for my notes on the things to consider on a #45:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...gs-to-Look-For

You will have to scroll down to post #27 "Is That A 45 In Your Pocket or Are You Just Happy to See Me?" for a bit more information on the #45. Blades are not that hard to find depending on whether you only want a few select sizes, full sets or if you want all the special cutters included. Getting all the special cutters takes awhile. I got lucky and it was years waiting.

More information is at:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan6.htm

There is a full page on the #45 with more details.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sorry for the late reply, internet issues. Yeah, I'll be going back there and seeing what else is missing, and if it's an early or later model. Thanks all for the tips!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford