Thread: Backsaw for Dovetails

Backsaw for Dovetails

Hi guys. There is a Warranted Superior backsaw in good shape, relatively fine tooth that I can pick up cheap.Plate is of course fairly thick. Will a fairly fine backsaw work well for dovetails?
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 08-05-2017 at 11:50 PM.

backsaw.jpg
    Been using this one for dovetails, box joints, and a little mortise work.....Disston No. 4....11ppi, 14" long.

Thanks, Steven. Do you get a relatively smooth cut with that saw?

Yep. A bit of fuzz out the back of the cut, nothing real bad. Starts easy, and as long as the operator knows what he is doing....cuts a nice straight line.

Thanks, Steven!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baker 2 View Post
    Hi guys. There is a Warranted Superior backsaw in good shape, relatively fine tooth that I can pick up cheap.Plate is of course fairly thick. Will a fairly fine backsaw work well for dovetails?
    In my admittedly limited experience, the tooth pitch, quality of tooth, and degree of saw set make more of a difference than the thickness of the plate. If it cuts straight and true, you can always keep it on the right side of the line. All that said, the finer the work, the finer the saw is a rule I live by. I have a couple small backsaws filed rip, and they don't compare to my LN Dovetail Saw when it comes to cutting smaller dovetails. I think it has mostly to do with the generous amount of set to the teeth. The cut just isn't as precise.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    How do you think our saw collections got started? Of course, pick it up.

Blog Entries
    It isn't the saw, it is the person holding the saw.

Watch Barnwood builders and you will occasionally see them cut accurate dovetails with a chain saw.

Of course they are very big dovetails.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It isn't the saw, it is the person holding the saw.

Watch Barnwood builders and you will occasionally see them cut accurate dovetails with a chain saw.

Of course they are very big dovetails.

jtk
    Jim, not to hijack this thread, but isn't that the most amazing thing to watch? Sherman make it look quite easy.

Blog Entries
    Jim, not to hijack this thread, but isn't that the most amazing thing to watch?
    Yes it is.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    How do you think our saw collections got started? Of course, pick it up.
    Well, yes.....
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

This one came home today...
    IMG_1346 (640x480).jpg
    12" Warranted Superior, 11ppi. Part of a small treasure trove today..
    IMG_1344 (640x480).jpg
    Square is a 12" one. Rip saw is 5-1/2PPI...have started to rehab it....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    In my admittedly limited experience, the tooth pitch, quality of tooth, and degree of saw set make more of a difference than the thickness of the plate. If it cuts straight and true, you can always keep it on the right side of the line. All that said, the finer the work, the finer the saw is a rule I live by. I have a couple small backsaws filed rip, and they don't compare to my LN Dovetail Saw when it comes to cutting smaller dovetails. I think it has mostly to do with the generous amount of set to the teeth. The cut just isn't as precise.
    A saw plate gauge within the range of 0.018" to 0.020" is an excellent choice imo for a Dovetail Saw. Minimal set + a thinner saw plate equates to an ideal narrow kerf width.

An historic example, a 1918- to pre 1932 Disston #70 Dovetail Saw (0.018" gauge).

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 08-07-2017 at 2:08 AM.

Thank you, gentlemen. If it is still there when I get the chance to get back there, I'll get it. It mos likely will be.