Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: First and last Stanley handplane restoration

Blog Entries
    Sometimes the wood is not so cooperative.
    Then if possible find a different piece of wood, works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    If the wood can't tell the difference with a small microbevel, then really you are saying that a higher cutting angle is the key thing, not the microbevel. Therefore, a higher angle blade is better to reduce tear out leading to the idea that a scraper is the ultimate. So, on the other hand we have lower angle devotees that love their BU planes and tout that this lower angle reduces tearout. Finally we have the 4 mil close set cap iron crowd saying this reduces tearout. Guess what, they are all probably right. Hence the never-ending discussions here. It's really all more a function of edge sharpness quality - without a very sharp and clean edge it's all moot.
    Bingo!

And all of this from a thread started about not ever wanting to restore another hand plane.

Next thread to go to four pages should be about bevel up molding or combination planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If the wood can't tell the difference with a small microbevel, then really you are saying that a higher cutting angle is the key thing, not the microbevel. Therefore, a higher angle blade is better to reduce tear out leading to the idea that a scraper is the ultimate. So, on the other hand we have lower angle devotees that love their BU planes and tout that this lower angle reduces tearout. Finally we have the 4 mil close set cap iron crowd saying this reduces tearout. Guess what, they are all probably right. Hence the never-ending discussions here. It's really all more a function of edge sharpness quality - without a very sharp and clean edge it's all moot.
    If cutting angle were all that mattered then we'd all be sticking profiles with scratch stocks.

With that said, I was in fact saying that higher cutting angle is a key factor for mitigating tearout (not "the" as you posited in your strawman statement, as there are others).

What you're missing is that nothing is free. Higher angles increase effort and leave a less "glassy" surface, which is why we also turn to other mitigations such as cap irons or super-tight mouths. Those aren't relevant to a combo plane like the #55 we were discussing as it has neither, hence the unusual level of focus on back bevel. It's a useful mitigation in this specific situation and for this specific plane.

Every time I've posted in this thread (including the one you quoted) I've acknowledged the primary importance of sharpness, so I don't understand why you bring that up as though it's a counterargument. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    If cutting angle were all that mattered then we'd all be sticking profiles with scratch stocks.

With that said, I was in fact saying that higher cutting angle is a key factor for mitigating tearout (not "the" as you posited in your strawman statement, as there are others).

What you're missing is that nothing is free. Higher angles increase effort and leave a less "glassy" surface, which is why we also turn to other mitigations such as cap irons or super-tight mouths. Those aren't relevant to a combo plane like the #55 we were discussing as it has neither, hence the unusual level of focus on back bevel. It's a useful mitigation in this specific situation and for this specific plane.

Every time I've posted in this thread (including the one you quoted) I've acknowledged the primary importance of sharpness, so I don't understand why you bring that up as though it's a counterargument. Thanks for agreeing with me.
    The agreement you perceive is merely an acknowledgement of facts pure and simple, not that you invented the concept.. Your reference to a strawman is mistaken as well.

The agreement you perceive is merely an acknowledgement of facts pure and simple, not that you invented the concept.. Your reference to a strawman is mistaken as well.
    It's awesomeley ironic that you say this while simultaneously erecting yet another strawman, namely the implication that I sought recognition for or implied that I "invented the concept".

I believe that a couple of us acknowledged Derek's article pointing out the value of back-bevels for combo planes, though the concept is obviously much much older. Likewise I linked to Steve Elliott's website w.r.t. the required extent of the back bevel to mitigate tearout though again that's just a particularly good writeup of "ancient knowledge". The importance of a sharp blade is common enough knowledge that it needs no citation or attribution. I know as well as anybody that there's truly nothing new under the Sun.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-06-2017 at 3:54 PM.

New arrival today...
    IMG_1347 (640x480).jpg
    #3 Dunlap.....$3....

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    It's awesomeley ironic that you say this while simultaneously erecting yet another strawman, namely the implication that I sought recognition for or implied that I "invented the concept"..
    This isn't high school debate class Patrick.