Thread: Making slot in Mesquite (solid wood)

Blog Entries

Making slot in Mesquite (solid wood)

In another string I was talking about Popular Woodworking's Modern Chair. I am making one using mesquite.
    There are slots in the wood, 1/4"X 1 1/2" and also 1/4"X 1". These are finished slots. I plan on drilling 1/4" holes
    and chopping the slots with a chisel. Maybe I drill 1/4" end holes and drill a series of 3/16" holes between the ends,
    then enlarge the slots with a chisel.

Do any of you have suggestions on how to make these slots. I have a drill press, router, and a router table.
    I think a hand cut slot is best, but I'm not sure on how to approach making it. I also have the Lee Valley flat
    cut saw, but it is too wide.

Thanks!

A photo would help, but it sounds like a job for the router.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    A link to the chair

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/ju...n-lounge-chair

Head slap, I can route the slots using my table saw fence.

I have a saw table mounted router set up. I can make the slots there. Sometimes you can't see the forest
    because of the trees.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-09-2017 at 5:30 PM.

You can make slots with your router at arbitrary angles to the board edges. Clamp a board or other straightedge to the workpiece, and use that board as a guide for the router. If the slot starts in the middle of the workpiece it helps if the router is a plunge one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    You can make slots with your router at arbitrary angles to the board edges. Clamp a board or other straightedge to the workpiece, and use that board as a guide for the router. If the slot starts in the middle of the work piece it helps if the router is a plunge one.
    I have a Bosch router with plunge base. They used the same router that I have, so I'm good to go. Thanks.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-09-2017 at 4:48 PM.

I have had success using a router in a router table for making slots and I have done it using a hand held router. When using the hand held router, it's important to have enough suface to support the router base.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

One thing you might consider doing, especially if you are going to make more than one, is to make a template for cutting the mortises which is reversible. You can make a cradle to hole both parts. Then set the template on one, rout the mortises, flip the pattern over and rout the other side. The pattern would be large enough to cover the whole part completely.

Some years ago I had a summer job working for a fellow who made jewelry boxes and other case pieces with tambours. To make the symmetrical grooves for the tambours, he had a base that would hold the two case sides with the inside faces up. He hinged his pattern in the center between the sides. Then he could rout one side, flip the pattern and router the other side resulting in a matched set.

Blog Entries
    I already have a template started . I will add two slots that are required and I will have it. It does cover the whole piece.

Thanks for responding.