Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving a 900 x 600 laser engraver

Moving a 900 x 600 laser engraver

I just bought a used 36" x 24" 80 watt laser engraver. If I move it 25 miles on a trailer, should I remove the laser tube for transport or will it be OK in the housing? Thanks, Fred

Not saying don't remove it , its probably best if you have a safe way to pak and transport. But I moved a 6040- 60watt from Ohio to AZ just strapped in the back of my P/U and it was fine didn't even have to re align .
    Just Sayin
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

IMO the safest place it can be is in the box it's mounted in-- These things seem to have a good record making it across the pond and across all our wonderful highways en route to our workshops unscathed. Seems more likely to mess it up by removing it. (would be for ME anyway)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thank you Bert and Kev. The drive is on highways, no bumpy pavement. My trailer has springs, but no shocks, but travels pretty smoothly. The tube is mounted correctly with padded straps, so I think I will go for it. It will be early tomorrow before the traffic gets out too.

let us know how it went
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If it uses a glass tube I would remove it and move separately.
    GCC Spirit GX Pro 100W(synrad)
    Laserlife Ezlaser LCW 300W(Yongli DLT-300)

I transported a 36EXT from Syndey to Melbourne in a iLoad van with no issues. Heavy unit make sure you have plenty of help to lift it!
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Gerber Syst. 48 CNC Router
    Epilog 36EXT
    MAX MPS-20 Galvo 20w MOPA Fiber
    Roland LEF-200 UV Printer
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

I hauled mine with the tube installed about 500 miles with no problems

If the tube is completely enclosed within the frame of the machine, it should be OK. If it has the bolt-on housing that extends for the tube, I would remove it.

I left my tube installed when I moved mine. I think the main risk is when loading or unloading. If you were to drop the machine onto a hard surface the shock would be transferred to the glass tube. During transport the tube is protected from damaging shocks by the mass of the machine and the vehicle it is in.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    If the tube is completely enclosed within the frame of the machine, it should be OK. If it has the bolt-on housing that extends for the tube, I would remove it.

Mine has the add on extension

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Mine has the add on extension
    Oh, I would still remove it. That's how mine was shipped and it only takes 5-10 minutes. The extension housing is a tempting handle to pick up and maneuver the machine through doors. Moot point if flex is reduced by the absence of the housing.

I would personally leave my tube in for transport, ensuring that no wires are unsupported.
    I would also take the time to secure the gantry because it will move, without power applied to the motors.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

I would say remove it - It only takes one quick smack into a wall or someone to set the machine down too hard to get a $500 Replacement Tube Bill (100 watt Long Life)
    It takes me 10 minutes to unbolt a tube and wrap it in a moving blanket (a quick Shrink Wrap Helps too) $500 savings for 10 minutes of work priceless lol :-)
    The glass they use on these tubes are very thin. Im assuming you bought a Chinese Machine and not a speedy or something with a metal tube.

Added : Would you move a china cabinet with a $500 glass vase in it???
    Last edited by Robert Bonenfant; 07-11-2017 at 7:44 PM.
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bonenfant View Post
    The glass they use on these tubes are very thin. Im assuming you bought a Chinese Machine and not a speedy or something with a metal tube.

Added : Would you move a china cabinet with a $500 glass vase in it???
    My Reci tube was surprisingly tough when it came time to break it so that I could send Reci a photo of the destroyed tube. It was not nearly as fragile as I thought.

Yes, I would move a china cabinet with a $500 glass vase in it - if said vase was securely mounted to the cabinet.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408