Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on making plywood shelves for paint cans

Seeking advice on making plywood shelves for paint cans

My son does hand painted signs. In order to help him get his shop a little more organized I offered to build him a shelf for some of his paint. I haven't built shelves strictly out of only plywood before. I'll be using 3/4" pine plywood from Home Depot. I was planning on each shelf being able to handle 1-gallon cans as well as 1-quart cans stacked and also two-deep. A lot of this is paint he's used but keeping for other future jobs. I assume he'll also put full cans in it as well. I'm concerned about the shelves sagging. I had been planning on building a set of shelves with approximate dimensions of 46" tall x 36" wide x 12" deep. I'd also planned on backing this shelf with 1/4" pine plywood. Each shelf would fit into a 1/4" dado in the sides. This morning I was reading an article on popularwoodworking dot com about shelf strength. The article shows that 3/4" ply with a moderate load (25lb per running foot) should be no longer than 32" and with a heavy load (40-50lb per running foot) should be no longer than 30".

I was considering using 3/4" ply for the back rather than 1/4" ply and also using a 1/4" deep dado here to provide extra support for the 36" shelf width. This would provide some support for each shelf on three sides. Do you think this was add enough strength to prevent sagging?

I want it to be structurally strong as well so would you advise adding a 2" face frame around the exterior or do you think it should be strong enough without that?

Thoughts and other ideas on how to achieve this would be appreciated.

PS Looking around I probably should have posted this thread in one of the other forums here. It doesn't appear like I can move it. If someone wants to move it to the appropriate forum I'd understand and appreciate it.
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 07-09-2017 at 3:34 PM.

Plywood is a lousy choice for shelves since nearly half the grain is going in the wrong direction.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Plywood is a lousy choice for shelves since nearly half the grain is going in the wrong direction.
    Andy,
    In lieu of plywood, what would you suggest given the intended use of this set of shelves?

Thanks!

Solid lumber should be much better; thicker the better.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

3/4" ply is more than strong enough for 36" wide utility shelves. Use 1/2" for the back and glue and staple it to the shelves and the carcass and they won't go anywhere. If you want a little more strength cut the shelves 3/4" shallow and apply 3/4"x 1" hardwood edging to the front.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    3/4" ply is more than strong enough for 36" wide utility shelves. Use 1/2" for the back and glue and staple it to the shelves and the carcass and they won't go anywhere. If you want a little more strength cut the shelves 3/4" shallow and apply 3/4"x 1" hardwood edging to the front.
    I agree with John 100%....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Blog Entries
    Check you design with the sagulator. Weigh a gallon of paint and determine the maximum number that will fit on your shelf. I would recommend screws through the side supports into the plywood shelves to get extra strength.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I also agree with John which is exactly how I built my gallon paint can storage shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Check you design with the sagulator. Weigh a gallon of paint and determine the maximum number that will fit on your shelf. I would recommend screws through the side supports into the plywood shelves to get extra strength.
    Thanks Lee! Nice tool the sagulator! I didn't see Plywood - Pine as a choice only Plywood - Fir. Using that choice the "initial sag" was .003" and considered acceptable.

Thanks John, Dom and Von! I'll move forward with confidence and take some additional steps to hopefully decrease any sag.
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 07-09-2017 at 7:46 PM.

Plan it so you can put a support in the middle of the shelf. If it's just for paint cans, dividing it in half shouldn't be a big problem.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I got some 3/4" angle aluminum and put one on the front of each shelf and one on the back of each shelf. Made very strong shelves.

I had to round off the bottom edge of the shelf because the angle aluminum was rounded at the inner corner.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

When I made shelving for this purpose I made the shelves 4 ft. long to make easier and more efficient use of 4X8 plywood. I added divider pieces in the center thus ended up with approximately 2 ft. shelves which can stand a very large amount of weight. If you use 1/4" dado you can also inset the back in a 1/4" rabbet and not have to cut the shelf ends or the back width. It means your top and bottom must also set in a dado.

Blog Entries
    A great way to store paint is in an old steel file cabinet. Each drawer can hold 5 or 6 gallon cans. Legal size cabinets, even more.

#1 ---Plywood, 3/4" is fine. 40 plus years ago I worked in a paint store & our retail display shelves were made from 3/4" plywood. The shelf next to the tint machine, that held the pastel tint base (the most often used base), was 4 cans deep by 2 cans high by 6 cans wide. That's 48 gallons of paint @ about 12 pounds per gallon. (576#)

#2 Ole has a great idea. With all the store closings going on right now, there are a whole bunch of great deals on store fixtures & file cabinets.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thanks Lee for the site reference...