Thread: Help with painting and older china cabinet

Help with painting and older china cabinet

We just bought a 2 piece buffet/hutch that was made by Drew Furniture probably in the 70's. Going to update it with a modern paint scheme. It is cherry solids with cherry veneered chip board panels.

We plan to paint most of it black except for leaving the cherry crown mold, the buffet top, the hutch back panel and the buffet feet in the natural cherry. I just tested one of the feet and can remove the existing lacquer easily with lacquer thinner. I will spray new coats of lacquer on these parts.

For the painted areas, we plan to wipe off a few edges as we paint to let the cherry show through. I'm good with most of this but need some input, mainly suggestions on what paint to use.

I have a gravity feed hvlp spray gun that does fine with the lacquer, especially on small work. I would like to find a paint that I can spray if possible. If I need to prime the painted areas, it needs to be a clear primer so the rubbed edges show thru.

So any suggestions on the best paint and if it needs primer a suggestion for that as well.

Thanks,
    Perry

Perry, do you have the option of changing the needle size in your gun to something larger? Does your gun's manufacturer give any indication as to what viscosity materials you can use? The Milk Paint I use can be sprayed but needs a larger needle/nozzle of 1.8mm - sounds like your current setup is going to be around 1mm. Also, is your gun pressurized (easy way to tell is if there is a thin plastic tube running from the gun to the pot) as that will limit the viscosity you can spray.

I've got 2 Husky gravity feed guns, they came as a set, one detail and the other larger. Just checked, they both have 1.4 tips.

Perry

I think you're going to struggle with Milk Paint's viscosity even when thinned with 10-15% water with that needle size and no pressurized pot.

So, assume I have a gun with a 1.8 tip, what would your answers be?

Perry

Lamp Black Milk Paint by General Finishes - they have a bunch of videos showing the "wiping through" that you want to do along with other techniques. If you need additional durability, you can use one of their clear water based finishes as a top coat, but their milk paint is tough as is. Obviously there are plenty of other brands of paint on the market and not all of them are as thick - just haven't used them

Thanks Andy