Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap source for table legs?

Cheap source for table legs?

I don't have a lathe and don't have access to one (nor the skills to use one yet). In the process of planning out a kitchen table build and I'm looking to do round legs. However, in doing some research, these legs are going to account for over half the cost of the entire project!

Table top is going to be 1-1/8 to 1-1/4ish so looking to go with 3.5" legs

Here's one that I found and liked but for a set of 4 it's $231 shipped:
    https://www.tablelegs.com/farmhouse-...-leg-3-5-x-29/

This seemed to be on the cheaper end of what I could end up with price wise.

Is this the norm?
    Are there any alternatives?
    Anyone here in the pacific northwest want to make me some legs and I'll buy them?

Thanks

Blog Entries

This is the place:

https://www.tablelegs.com/

Thanks for the additional links. I'm not a fan of anything that Lowe's lists and was already looking at tablelegs.com

If the legs are going to be painted, any reason to go for hard maple vs soft maple? Worth twice the cost?

Not for $45.00 a piece! What would you consider a "fair price" for these table legs?

I used soft maple legs on my kitchen table and they've held up to a toddler (now 4) and daily use of a roomba to no ill effects. Not worth it to pay double for hard maple in my opinion.

I bought mine from Osborne. I used to live in the town where they're based and it was one of the few stand-up employers around and did right by the their people. They're still my first choice for that reason alone. (Not at all to say the other places aren't)

I honestly don't know what a fair price, but was just in sticker shock when I saw the prices of some of these legs. Osborne has some soft maple legs I like for $38 each which seems easier to manage. They have hard maple for $68 but since they're going to be painted I'm wondering if there are any issues I should be aware of with going with the soft maple vs hard maple.

Paul, do you have any local sources here in WA? Or do you turn your own?

EDIT: Thanks Marc for the affirmation on the soft maple. I think I'll go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Scofield View Post
    I honestly don't know what a fair price, but was just in sticker shock when I saw the prices of some of these legs. Osborne has some soft maple legs I like for $38 each which seems easier to manage. They have hard maple for $68 but since they're going to be painted I'm wondering if there are any issues I should be aware of with going with the soft maple vs hard maple.

Paul, do you have any local sources here in WA? Or do you turn your own?

EDIT: Thanks Marc for the affirmation on the soft maple. I think I'll go that route.

I think it's a fair or very good price for the wood , shipping and labor to make such a turning.

I'd go with the soft Maple as well , if the tables not subjected to a young child or a puppy it'll be fine .

If a new puppy decides to chew on the table legs ( they only chew on one , generally) , like one of ours did years ago , only metal , or Ipe would survive anyway.

Big vote for Osborne. Great company, and they really care about quality and employees.
    Bll
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Another online source is Adams Wood Products
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

That is not an unfair price. If you are painting you can use soft maple or even poplar.

How much is a decent quality wood lathe and a few chissels? probably not much over $300?
    Or make square tapered legs for now and replace them after your woodturning skills improve.
    Bill

a decent quality lathe and chisels? 300.00? Ok now I'm crappie flopping on the floor....I don't even think you could get a harbor freight lathe (garbage) and chisels for that. Buy your legs in poplar or soft maple and enjoy your new table
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

There's also the cost of the wood, a bed extension and some sharpening equipment.

I'd consider paying $200 for legs like that - and I HAVE a lathe.