Thread: Craftsman TS running backwards...

Craftsman TS running backwards...

I have an old 1969 Craftsman that is wired 110v and is running backwards. The blade was installed backwards as well when he gave it to me. I am electrically challenged to where the capacitor is on the motor and how to replace it on a saw that old. He also had a lamp cord to a wall light switch to turn it on. I know this needs to be replaced as well but this old saw's parts for that are discontinued. What should I replace it with?
    Texas Red's Sawmill
    Kelly Hanna Woodworks
    Elmo [East of Terrell], Texas

Blog Entries
    I have a similar book. It helps you do it correctly.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ire+your+house

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Hanna View Post
    I have an old 1969 Craftsman that is wired 110v and is running backwards. The blade was installed backwards as well when he gave it to me. I am electrically challenged to where the capacitor is on the motor and how to replace it on a saw that old. He also had a lamp cord to a wall light switch to turn it on. I know this needs to be replaced as well but this old saw's parts for that are discontinued. What should I replace it with?
    The capacitor will be inside a tubular "bulge" on the outside case of the motor. Replace it with one of the same value (microfarads, or MFD) and voltage. See the photo in the attached link:

http://what-when-how.com/electric-mo...lectric-motor/

Kelly, the start capacitor does not determine motor rotation.

The motor should have a wiring diagram on it, you will have to swap the start winding around, the diagram will show you how to reverse the motor..........Rod.

If the motor is trying to run backwards and then tripping the breaker but only thing changed was the blade, my bet is on the centrifugal switch.
    As for Kelly's saw, on a lot of the older Craftsman motors, they had a flat capacitor in the base of the motor. As to the blade running backwards, look out the nut does not unscrew as the threads are directional related to the proper rotation of the saw.

Kelly's question and relevant discussion moved to a separate thread from the old 2010 thread.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Oh.... I am definitely not using the saw backwards. I took the blade off and will not be turning it back on until I have the solution. I will post the motor plate so you can see which one it has. 20170708_200656.jpg
    Texas Red's Sawmill
    Kelly Hanna Woodworks

Those Dayton motors are OK motors. Chances are its only the capacitor, but it could also be dirty centrifugal switch points. Strips of 400 grit paper will clean them up once you get to them. Dayton had lots of centrifugal switch styles. The one below is only one sample, but it shows where to look.

dayton - 1 copy.jpg

Hi Kelly, as per the motor nameplate interchange wires T8 and T5 to reverse the motor direction...........Rod.

Blog Entries
    As others have indicated you need to check things in the following order:
    1. Check that the wiring matches the motor nameplate.
    2. Check and clean the centrifugal switch
    3. Replace the capacitor
    4. Replace the light switch with a paddle type switch such as this.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Rod....I will see if I can see where those are marked and reverse them!
    Texas Red's Sawmill
    Kelly Hanna Woodworks

Yessir, the paddle switch is on the list. Lamp cord will be gone soon as well. Someone really goofed on the wiring of this one.
    Texas Red's Sawmill
    Kelly Hanna Woodworks

Update, the switching of wires worked perfectly, but the old girl has many issues and it's going to a new home very soon. Turns out both of them were shimmed to hide the vibration, both motors un-shimmed are hoppin' like bunnies in the springtime. Nothing a link belt will cure unfortunately from what I can tell. Just don't have the time I thought I would to resurrect them.
    Texas Red's Sawmill
    Kelly Hanna Woodworks