Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideas Wanted, Carpenters Tool Box that Travels Easy

Ideas Wanted, Carpenters Tool Box that Travels Easy

My wife and I go on trips to see the kids and grand kids when we can, and neither set are just a short way away, both are a ways off. I sometimes take tools along to do work on something or other. It usually is a gut wrenching ordeal to clean out one of my carpenters tool boxes, find everything needed for the job (and usually a lot of things ending up not needed), it takes a lot of time to get it ready to travel, and sometimes I end up with 3 full tool boxes. What a pain.

I am thinking of a box that would be good for lots of general maintenance carpentry jobs, but not big jobs. It would be good for stuff like going with some from our church to do maintenance on the area church camp, where you have no idea what to expect when you get there. On some of those type deals you have several folks, but most long on good hearts but short of building trades skills. So most end up doing painting, clean up, etc., and a small number of us do the carpentry, etc.

I am thinking of a box that is nicely done, won't scratch stuff in the car, won't take up tons of room, and you could just grab and go.

Lately I have been thinking about setting up something permanent, a carpenters tool box made "on purpose" for just that kind of thing, with some tools more or less living in it permanently, but with a place for my electrical tool belt, and a tray with a minimal number of divisions for things like chisels, nail sets, etc.

The idea is to be able to do a lot, general carpentry, lots of flexibility, but not be set up for really big jobs.

My little 16" Disston #7 crosscut saws got me started thinking about this. They can do a very good job of full sized work, well, you give up some speed for sure compared to my full size carpenters saws, but you could do a lot with 2 of them, probably an 8 point rip and and a 10 point crosscut. (Finer teeth seem to work better on these smaller lighter saws.)

Obviously you take one 16 oz claw hammer, but my framing hammer stays home. Other things I thought about; nail sets, a couple chisels, combination square, and maybe my 1/2 size framing square, 16' tape, block plane, jack plane, brace with a small set of auger bits and an expansion bit, egg beater drill and a small set of bits, chalk line, 2' level, screw driver handle with hex bits, a stud finder, plumb bob, pliers/diagonal cutters/needle nose pliers, cats paw nail puller, utility knife, 3 or 4 quick grip clamps, a 1 lbs coffee can or small box with a supply of nails and screws, a fine point center punch....you get the idea.

Years ago I bought a very old carpenters tool box of that type, I think the original owner was a very old time carpenter out in the country I grew up in, and you had to carry your tools with you to the job, this was before the days of cars. His box was made of clear pine, and planed fairly thin where strength did not matter. It was completely enclosed and somewhat weather resistant, the top closed over the box, and in the top was a place for two panel saws laying flat wise in a small till. It was a long time ago, but the box was a bit over 2' long as I recall, probably 10" wide, and maybe 18" high, and I think it had handles on each end. Something of that sort, but smaller, would be ideal I think.

What are your thoughts? What should be in such a tool box? (This is for carpentry not fine woodworking.)

(A second, bigger box would be needed for bigger jobs that you would also take if you had reason to believe bigger jobs were likely, such things as a good but small to medium size miter box with back saw, small vise, full size carpenters saws, 1/2 inch drill, extension cord, ect.)

This project will have to wait a while though, too many irons in the fire, or maybe, is the whole idea not worth the trouble?

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 07-11-2017 at 2:07 AM.

Stanley used to make a few...
    end view.jpg
    I made a copy of the No.888 ( I think that is the number)
    Depending on how long you make it, should hold most of your tools..
    closed up.jpg
    A look inside?
    hangers.jpg
    and..
    IMAG0056.jpg
    And..
    tools.jpg
    and one more..
    hand planes.jpg
    or..just go Roy Underhill..
    side view.jpg
    This one canhold a full sized saw......
    handsaw.jpg
    Could always make a lid for it...

Steven, nice job. There are tools in there I didn't think about, but darned useful. (I did think about the sharpening stone.)

It would be interesting what tools Stanley originally put in the box.

Thanks,

Stew

Stew, I was facing the same problem 2 years ago (i was embarrassed cause i was carrying my tools in a plastic tool tray) and this is a box i built. I think the basic plans were in woodsmith and I modified the inside with tool holders in the lid.
    IMG_0191.JPGIMG_0193.JPGIMG_0196.JPGIMG_0197.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    My wife and I go on trips to see the kids and grand kids when we can, and neither set are just a short way away, both are a ways off. I sometimes take tools along to do work on something or other. It usually is a gut wrenching ordeal to clean out one of my carpenters tool boxes, find everything needed for the job (and usually a lot of things ending up not needed), it takes a lot of time to get it ready to travel, and sometimes I end up with 3 full tool boxes. What a pain.

I am thinking of a box that would be good for lots of general maintenance carpentry jobs, but not big jobs. It would be good for stuff like going with some from our church to do maintenance on the area church camp, where you have no idea what to expect when you get there. On some of those type deals you have several folks, but most long on good hearts but short of building trades skills. So most end up doing painting, clean up, etc., and a small number of us do the carpentry, etc.

I am thinking of a box that is nicely done, won't scratch stuff in the car, won't take up tons of room, and you could just grab and go.

Lately I have been thinking about setting up something permanent, a carpenters tool box made "on purpose" for just that kind of thing, with some tools more or less living in it permanently, but with a place for my electrical tool belt, and a tray with a minimal number of divisions for things like chisels, nail sets, etc.

The idea is to be able to do a lot, general carpentry, lots of flexibility, but not be set up for really big jobs.

My little 16" Disston #7 crosscut saws got me started thinking about this. They can do a very good job of full sized work, well, you give up some speed for sure compared to my full size carpenters saws, but you could do a lot with 2 of them, probably an 8 point rip and and a 10 point crosscut. (Finer teeth seem to work better on these smaller lighter saws.)

Obviously you take one 16 oz claw hammer, but my framing hammer stays home. Other things I thought about; nail sets, a couple chisels, combination square, and maybe my 1/2 size framing square, 16' tape, block plane, jack plane, brace with a small set of auger bits and an expansion bit, egg beater drill and a small set of bits, chalk line, 2' level, screw driver handle with hex bits, a stud finder, plumb bob, pliers/diagonal cutters/needle nose pliers, cats paw nail puller, utility knife, 3 or 4 quick grip clamps, a 1 lbs coffee can or small box with a supply of nails and screws, a fine point center punch....you get the idea.

Years ago I bought a very old carpenters tool box of that type, I think the original owner was a very old time carpenter out in the country I grew up in, and you had to carry your tools with you to the job, this was before the days of cars. His box was made of clear pine, and planed fairly thin where strength did not matter. It was completely enclosed and somewhat weather resistant, the top closed over the box, and in the top was a place for two panel saws laying flat wise in a small till. It was a long time ago, but the box was a bit over 2' long as I recall, probably 10" wide, and maybe 18" high, and I think it had handles on each end. Something of that sort, but smaller, would be ideal I think.

What are your thoughts? What should be in such a tool box? (This is for carpentry not fine woodworking.)

(A second, bigger box would be needed for bigger jobs that you would also take if you had reason to believe bigger jobs were likely, such things as a good but small to medium size miter box with back saw, small vise, full size carpenters saws, 1/2 inch drill, extension cord, ect.)

This project will have to wait a while though, too many irons in the fire, or maybe, is the whole idea not worth the trouble?

Stew
    I have a nice big plastic tool box. It holds, in the base, a pipe wrench or two, a Craftsman 1/4 drive SAE and Metric socket set, a small speed square, a hammer, various open end / box wrenches, a large water pump pliers. The tray holds a couple chisels, marking tools, pens, extra hardware, wire cutter, wire nuts, various screws and nuts and bolts, tape measur, etc. I think it weighs close to 25 lbs when loaded. I take this back and forth to my cabin. At my cabin I am accumulating tools such as saws, an old 12V Makita drill / driver / drill bits, etc. I wouldn't want a wooden box - it would be too bulky, too heavy for transport.

Melvin:

Very nice indeed....now that you've used it, would you make any changes?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin Graybill View Post
    Stew, I was facing the same problem 2 years ago (i was embarrassed cause i was carrying my tools in a plastic tool tray) and this is a box i built. I think the basic plans were in woodsmith and I modified the inside with tool holders in the lid.
    IMG_0191.JPGIMG_0193.JPGIMG_0196.JPGIMG_0197.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Nichols View Post
    Melvin:

Very nice indeed....now that you've used it, would you make any changes?

Andy
    So far it has carried all the hand tools that I needed on finish carpenter jobs.

For a truly portable set of woodworking tools I have found that tool bags are way better than boxes. The multiple pockets make organizing small tools easier. And things stay put where you store them, rather than rolling around in a box or drawer. The bags are lighter and don't mar your vehicle during transport. The Japanese saws with replaceable blades break down into short components for easy stowage. A 4-way or 6-way screwdriver handles most screw driving chores that must be done by hand.

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I thought Bob Strawn's "Vagabond Tool Rack" was an interesting and high-tech variation on this:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...33#post1440933

I'm still working on putting something along these lines together, though I'm focused on smaller and more multi-purpose tools --- see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Bonsa-Tool-Kit added a few things, and now have stuff divided between an EDC bag (Proteus Maxpedition Versa clone from my bike handlebars) and a small tool roll (which isn't quite working out as well as I'd hoped). Lots of duplication / overlap and I need to trim some stuff down, grind some screwdriver tips, and buy a few more tools.

(my apologies for the double reply --- tried to edit the above, but the system wouldn't let me)

An inspirational reference of course would be the Studley tool cabinet well-documented in the recent book from Lost Arts Press --- even the excerpt may be of interest: https://lostartpress.files.wordpress...so_excerpt.pdf (though I wish they'd fix the incorrect photo on pg. 70)

Lots of other tools and tool lists (tried to work up a reference on the List of Tools page on the Shapeoko wiki), and the best / most inspirational books I can think of are:

- Jim Tolpin's The Toolbox Book: A Craftsman's Guide to Tool Chests, Cabinets and Storage Systems
    - Donald C. Williams' Virtuoso: The Tool Cabinet and Workbench of Henry O. Studley
    - Andy Rae's Choosing & Using Hand Tools

Stew you may want to look at the old fashion metal carpenters long box. Where I grew up some carpenters rode the city bus to work. The box had a handle on one end so you could carry it verticle if need be, like on the bus. I believe that the carried most items like chisels and such in tool rolls. There was a saw til for full length saws and even a slot where the tongue of a framing square poked thru the lid.
    Jim

Yeah, you don't see those long boxes much now. I used one in a shop situation for years,it was used and had no key. A friend told me the keys were all the same ,he gave me an extra and it did indeed work! Alas ,I had no membership card.

It may not be your style, but you might consider a traditional Japanese tool box. They can be built to whatever size you need (within reason) based on what you're putting in them. They can easily be adapted to include a shelf or two for smaller items and built in storage for things like chisels, layout tools, etc.

There's a good recent article from FWW written by Andrew Hunter that details how he builds one. They are very quick to build. In my view, they are constructed very simply in form, but still afford an opportunity to showcase a bit of taste in how to ultimately complete the box. Choice of wood, grain pattern, etc can turn an ordinary tool box into an elegant box that is pleasing to look at and touch.

I built one recently for my stable of planes that I take to work with me from time to time for certain jobs, but it has since been adapted to be part of my finish carpentry tool arsenal. I keep chisels, a mallet, hand saw or two, layout and marking tools, block planes, jack plane as needed, bevel gauge, dividers, etc. Traditionally they are built with cut nails as the fasteners, but I used small, countersunk Torx head screws on mine because I was worried about the Doug Fir splitting in a couple of places. It has a tendency to be splintery and split easily in certain situations.

I made this size box from a single 1x12x12' stick of clear Doug Fir. I chose to use some cherry scraps I had lying around as an accent for the battens and handles.

One thing I like about it in terms of portability is that they are flat along the top plane of the box and easily packed and stacked with other boxes, tool cases, or Japanese tool boxes. The lid slides into place and fits nice and tight, but can be slid out (to open the box) and be used as a "tray" of sorts for tools to sit on while being used.

I've attached a couple photos of my box on my bench and also in use on a job site. This was a house full of custom doors and hinged solid panel "windows" that needed, among other things, deadbolts and strikes installed. Lots of layout and chisel work and the tool box was great.

I initially built this box sized to fit bench planes, which it's perfect for. When I build more boxes with general carpentry in mind I will likely size it accordingly to optimize the layout for selected tools, but the concept remains.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (121.7 KB, 56 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (213.6 KB, 66 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (126.0 KB, 50 views)
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 07-11-2017 at 9:39 PM.

IF you happen to look up the Stanley No.888 hip roof tool box, you may also see the list of tools that came with the box.. One of the few I didn't get in there was a Stanley 18" level...didn't have one. Just about all the rest of the tools I placed in that box were in the tool list from Stanley. If you look closely, you will see a handsaw in there...

As for the tote....Everytime I need to haul tools to my Daughter's place to fix something, I just toss in what tools I think I'll need into the tote.

drill box 001.jpgMy cabinet installation hand tool boxes. Used to be one with a handle cut into the central divider, but it got to be too heavy so I sawed it in half and put on some slings. It's easy to find the right tool and to see if one hasn't been put away. Beat up but functional after umpteen years. I have several other boxes for power tools and odds and ends including this drill box. Baltic Birch, mainly 1/2", held together with #10 biscuits.7-11-17 017.jpg7-11-17 016.jpg (I wish I could figure out how to place pictures and text where I want them in these posts.)
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 07-11-2017 at 10:45 PM.