Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideas Wanted, Carpenters Tool Box that Travels Easy

Alternatively, have you ever watched Supernatural? They have a literal arsenal in their trunk. You could buy a cheap, reliable Chevy(or whatever your poison is) and turn the trunk into a giant tool box.

Mike, that guy made a nice looking box. Had to turn the volume down before my ears started to bleed and got as far as him opening it up, but it's a nice box.
    Good find

LOL! I generally listen to Youtube with the volume really low, and adjust from there.

If you like the Japanese box approach, Chris Schwarz' article (from the Dec. 15 issue of PWM) is free on our site: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...g-blogs/326395

Might be a bit hard to measure...currently the box and tools ( donated as a door prize last year) are in Canada.

I based it on the size Stanley used for their 888 box.....I went with a steeper angle on the lids, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Fitzpatrick View Post
    If you like the Japanese box approach, Chris Schwarz' article (from the Dec. 15 issue of PWM) is free on our site: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...g-blogs/326395
    Megan,
    Thanks for link.

I bought a few of these when I had to pack up the shop to move. I sue them all the time for various things now. I submit that if you get one, you will find good uses for it. They are widely available for around $70. "Stanley Mobile Tool Chest - 50 gallon". Of course, you need a hatchback or a truck for this size. There are many alternative and smaller configurations as well. Apologies for the non-traditional, plastic suggestion. Fitted and filled with hand tools, it shows better when open.

Thanks Megan,

I read that article at my son in laws, but couldn't remember what month. He did a very nice job on the box.

Thanks again.

Stew

This is a more traditional carpenter's toolbox, a lot like Andy's above. The lid is long enough to hold a few handsaws. The tools were some of the contents of the box when I bought it. If you're interested I can take better pictures.

20160723_181351.jpg

20160723_181707.jpg
    Last edited by Thomas Schneider; 07-14-2017 at 9:00 AM.

Neat!

I picked up a similar box, but of slightly more recent vintage and badly picked over, w/ only one drawer in the main section and a storage area in the drop down lid for a level (present and w/ a bit of concrete on it) and something which you don't mind getting dumped out every time you open it.

Do you have any photos of how the tools are stored inside it? I've never been able to achieve an arrangement I was satisfied with.

Stew,
    Here is my solution. I have been helping a friend build a shop at his old home place about 60 miles away for me and 150 miles for him so no trips back to the shop to get stuff. I built an open top carpenters box about 25 years and it served its purpose but any box, bucket, or bag that is loaded from the top has the same problem in that the tool you need is always on the bottom and people borrow stuff and don't return it. This is just a dovetailed pine box.
    IMG_2309.jpg
    Here is with the door open. Its big enough that I can get a full size framing square either in front of the drawers or behind the drawers depending expected usage. The three drawers are 1", 1.5" and 3". I elected to have a flat door rather than saw storage since I don't carry more than one saw although I could easily add another in the well. The trade off is for full depth drawers.
    IMG_2317.jpg
    Here are the contents of the well.
    IMG_2321.jpg
    Here are the three drawers.
    IMG_2322.jpg
    Construction details.
    IMG_2327.jpg
    IMG_2324.jpg
    This was an enjoyable project. It could be a lot simpler if I had used plywood.

Danny

Danny, that's a good lookin box!

Steve, Andy, thomas,

I agree this type of box can be very handy and proves to carry a lot.
    I bought one in France, on mine the tray holds a compartment exactly fitting a stanley level and boxes for screws and nails.

Annonce_rabots2.jpg
    Last edited by Axel de Pugey; 07-15-2017 at 5:16 AM.

Alex:

Nice old box....

BTW My daughter lives in Arl, and her father in law is a finish carpenter....

Regards,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Axel de Pugey View Post
    Steve, Andy, thomas,

I agree this type of box can be very handy and proves to carry a lot.
    I bought one in France, on mine the tray holds a compartment exactly fitting a stanley level and boxes for screws and nails.

Annonce_rabots2.jpg

Well I originally bought the box for the tools that were sold with it, it was a not to be missed opportunity.
    The box itself is not in a top of the range cosmetic state but is really strong and sturdy. As space is at a premium in my little shop, unfortunately the box ended up in the attic, empty.

I am now thinking of building my own, much smaller, just to have the minimum tolls for dovetailing when I go to my summer house.

At the end of the day a toolbox is so personnal it's difficult to stick to one model, but this thread and others can be of great inspiration.

I don't know Arles so much, but it is a nice town. That's a good base to visit the region.
    Last edited by Axel de Pugey; 07-17-2017 at 4:59 PM.